diy solar

diy solar

Initial charging 2 100a SOK easiest method.

Dinky

Folks,
I am still in the design phase of my system. I want to use the 100a SOK batteries to power a couple of things. I am a little hesitant and don't want to abuse or damage the batteries. So my question is:
What is the easiest way to do the initial charge on them? They will be used together in either a 12 or 24 volt system. The batteries are new and still in the box. They were not bought together, shipped seperate on different dates. Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards,
Steve

Do you have the batteries already?
What is the current voltage sitting at on them (if you have them already)?
Do you have a 12v battery charger with a lithium profile on it (or a custom user profile)?

Here is a chart showing voltage to SOC curve on a LiFePO4 (showing single cell, 12v, and 24v)...

1626974865545.png

Usually batteries will ship at 50-60% charge or something, because it's better for storage and sitting. If you don't plan to use them for awhile and play with them a bit, you might discharge them back down to 50-60% before letting them sit for long periods.

If you will run them as 24v, you will want to top balance them (in 12v parallel). If you have a constant voltage power supply, you can set the voltage to no higher than 14.5-14.6v and let them come all the way up and settle. Then you can re-cable them in series for your 24v operation.

Reference:

Attachments

• 1626974483069.png
    1626974483069.png
    17 KB · Views: 3
Do you have a 12v battery charger with a lithium profile on it (or a custom user profile)?

Here is a chart showing voltage to SOC curve on a LiFePO4 (showing single cell, 12v, and 24v)...

View attachment 57204

Usually batteries will ship at 50-60% charge or something, because it's better for storage and sitting. If you don't plan to use them for awhile and play with them a bit, you might discharge them back down to 50-60% before letting them sit for long periods.

If you will run them as 24v, you will want to top balance them (in 12v parallel). If you have a constant voltage power supply, you can set the voltage to no higher than 14.5-14.6v and let them come all the way up and settle. Then you can re-cable them in series for your 24v operation.

Reference:

View attachment 57204

Reference:
I have the 2 batteries, no charger yet, have not tested the batteries yet.

Do you have a charger that can charge at 13.8-14.4V or 27.6-28.8V?

How do you expect to charge them in the future?
No charger yet, looking at options for a charger now, any suggestions? I am either going to set up a 12 or 24v solar setup starting with 4 100w panels. Have not decided between 12 or 24v, but leaning toward 24v.
Thanks,
Steve

any suggestions?
I was going to suggest an SCC. I do not own a bench charger of any kind.

starting with 4 100w panels
Is there a reason you're going to use a lot of tiny panels instead of big cheap ones? Look on craigslist in your area for big cheap ones. If you post your location, city or zip, maybe someone can suggest a good source for them in your area.

Back