diy solar

diy solar

Inspection Expectations

cgreen

I have built a DIY off-grid solar system with battery backup. However, I am still connected to the grid for when the battery gets low and/or lack of sun power. I use the grid solely as a backup source and I am not net metering.

The electric company is requiring an inspection of my solar system before they will allow me to continue using my system as setup. They understand that my system is not backfeeding onto the grid and that I do not wish to net meter. Yet, they are still requiring an inspection. I'm a little nervous about an inspection, even though I feel fairly confident in the way everything is setup.

Is there anyone who may have a similar experience they can share as to what to expect during an inspection?

Attachments

• Adobe Scan Nov 01, 2022.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I have built a DIY off-grid solar system with battery backup. However, I am still connected to the grid for when the battery gets low and/or lack of sun power. I use the grid solely as a backup source and I am not net metering.

The electric company is requiring an inspection of my solar system before they will allow me to continue using my system as setup. They understand that my system is not backfeeding onto the grid and that I do not wish to net meter. Yet, they are still requiring an inspection. I'm a little nervous about an inspection, even though I feel fairly confident in the way everything is setup.

Is there anyone who may have a similar experience they can share as to what to expect during an inspection?
Are you in the US, State?
I do not understand why they need to look at your system when you are not feeding anything back into the grid, so if people have UPS then will they want to look at that too?

Are you in the US, State?
I do not understand why they need to look at your system when you are not feeding anything back into the grid, so if people have UPS then will they want to look at that too?
Yes. I'm in Arkansas. I've explained to them that my system is really no different than someone connecting a generator to their panel for power outages. But they're reasoning is that since the grid is connected to my inverter (as the AC input only, mind you), they want the system inspected before they will test to make sure it's not backfeeding.

Yes. I'm in Arkansas. I've explained to them that my system is really no different than someone connecting a generator to their panel for power outages. But they're reasoning is that since the grid is connected to my inverter (as the AC input only, mind you), they want the system inspected before they will test to make sure it's not backfeeding.
Does your inverter even allow grid export? Is it UL listed?
I'd tell them to pound sand.

Photos of your system so we can possibly spit issues?

"main breaker off, no backfeed to grid" - does that have a UL listed interlock?

"grid in to inverter" - Does inverter mix its output on the AC sine wave at frequency from grid (while avoiding backfeed)? Or, does it contain separate battery charger (on-line UPS), or does it have a transfer relay? Is it UL listed? (zero backfeed and relay implemenations could have failure modes.)

"battery" - is that a UL listed ESS? Does inverter require a battery to be operational?

"Line side tap" - You could draw 100A + 60A; does that exceed rating of utility connection? Is there a utility rule on maximum breaker for line-side tap?

Last edited:
You have not mentioned what model of off grid inverter you are using. If it is one that has any form of CTs or so called "zero export" than you are grid tied. I can not see otherwise why the electric company has raised the issue. Though it is possible they are curious about your reduced power consumption.

Last edited:
Since you have the interlock and no way to parallel with grid I would not think you have any problems. Other than trying to explain how it all works so that the person inspecting it can understand. Basically it is after the utility meter and disconnect so not under their responsibility. So unless you have a local County/State electrical inspector to worry about I would think you are good to go.

Power companies require a completed permit not an inspection, inspection is done as part of the permit process.

Your in NEC2020, so UL1741SA and UL9540A are required

Your inverter isn't UL listed, you will have possibility of red flag/tag, power disconnect by the local inspector, having an ESS system has very strict rules, so you may have to do some major changes to meet the regulations.

Depending on where the array is ( roof or ground mount ) will possibly have even more concerns, roof requires PE stamped plans for electrical and mechanical ( roof mount ).

You should start by talking with your building department and finding out what rules they enforce from the NEC

Power companies require a completed permit not an inspection, inspection is done as part of the permit process.

Your in NEC2020, so UL1741SA and UL9540A are required

Your inverter isn't UL listed, you will have possibility of red flag/tag, power disconnect by the local inspector, having an ESS system has very strict rules, so you may have to do some major changes to meet the regulations.

Depending on where the array is ( roof or ground mount ) will possibly have even more concerns, roof requires PE stamped plans for electrical and mechanical ( roof mount ).

You should start by talking with your building department and finding out what rules they enforce from the NEC
Depends on where he lives. Where I live there is no permits required and the electric company just connects up to the meter loop and disconnect that you supply. They inspect it to see if it is adequate and hook you up. You do have to provide conduit to your homes main panel or they get angsty since bare wires from the disconnect is a no go.

They need to verify that 1: the system actually doesn't back feed to the grid (because they can't just take your word for it for liability), and 2: there are ways to isolate the solar system from the grid that is physically accessible from the outside for fire code.

Not uncommon.

Depends on where he lives. Where I live there is no permits required and the electric company just connects up to the meter loop and disconnect that you supply. They inspect it to see if it is adequate and hook you up. You do have to provide conduit to your homes main panel or they get angsty since bare wires from the disconnect is a no go.
That is correct. There was no permit required. The electric company sent me the list of 5 steps that needed to be complete for a net metering customer. Even though I am NOT net metering, they are requiring me to complete steps 4 and 5, which are: #4 - have the system inspected by a licensed master electrician, then #5 - the power company will come out and ensure it is not backfeeding onto the grid.

I'm just nervous about the inspection since I did it all myself. I know how picky these guys can be. I'd just like to know what to expect should I decide to follow their rules, or decide to invest the money in more batteries and tell them to pull their plug on me!

They need to verify that 1: the system actually doesn't back feed to the grid (because they can't just take your word for it for liability), and 2: there are ways to isolate the solar system from the grid that is physically accessible from the outside for fire code.

Not uncommon.
Exactly. I don't understand why they just can't check for themselves that it doesn't backfeed and forego the inspection.

The #4 requirement is one I would balk at. Hiring a Master electrician to inspect is going to cause problems with your type of setup. The electrician is going to go by the book and frankly these Chinese inverters are not acceptable. Can't hardly blame them because they face legal liability if they approve your setup.

Your angle needs to be it is a battery charger that can be plugged in or use panels.

But, how are you connected to the loads you are supplying off it ?
Is it doing your whole house or just a few critical circuits ?

Your angle needs to be it is a battery charger that can be plugged in or use panels.

But, how are you connected to the loads you are supplying off it ?
Is it doing your whole house or just a few critical circuits ?
It is powering my entire house via the main breaker panel. Solar is connected via load side connection in the panel. The main breaker coming from the meter/grid in the panel is OFF with an interlock kit installed to prevent accidental switching it to the on position which would allow backfeeding.

The only way the grid is connected, is into the inverter via the AC input from a line side tap, into a 60A disconnect subpanel, then into the inverter.

Attached is the diagram I submitted to the electric company, which they requested, of how my system is setup.

Attachments

• Adobe Scan Nov 01, 2022.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 30
Wow, a licensed electrician needs to inspect, before the power company can verify.
If it were me, I would pull it apart and connect to a generator outlet before anyone looks at it.

Back