diy solar

diy solar

Inverter does not frequency shift

CRenner

I have an inverter that does not do frequency shifting AC coupled to Enphase IQ8+.
I need something that will shut down the output of the solar when the batteries are full.
Is there an appliance that does this?

I have a frequency controlled inverter but it never gets throttled as I also use a Raspberry Pi to monitor the frequency. When the Pi sees the frequency increasing it switches on loads so the surplus is used rather than throttled.

All achieved in Node-red.

I have a frequency controlled inverter but it never gets throttled as I also use a Raspberry Pi to monitor the frequency. When the Pi sees the frequency increasing it switches on loads so the surplus is used rather than throttled.

All achieved in Node-red.

Since my inverter doesn't shift the frequency this will not work. Can it sense the battery charge?

Today is a sunny day and my panels are producing 5.3kW and my house is using 1.2kW.
I don't have a load big enough to use that much.

Since my inverter doesn't shift the frequency this will not work. Can it sense the battery charge?
If the parameter is available then yes, I turn on loads based on frequency but turn them off based on battery voltage but there are other data available and Node-red will allow you to program a routine to suit your setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    365.5 KB · Views: 9
You can hook your panels to a Solar Charge Controller (SCC) and use it to charge the battery and see the IQ8's and keep all your other stuff.

I'm planning to set up a similar system with same IP6048 inverter but different microinverters. How do you have your enphase system connected with the inverter?

I'm planning to set up a similar system with same IP6048 inverter but different microinverters. How do you have your enphase system connected with the inverter?
I don't.
Right now I do not want a critical load panel so I use a manual interlock device to switch the whole panel to off grid.
The Enphase goes into the main panel.

I use a manual interlock device to switch the whole panel to off grid.
The Enphase goes into the main panel.
So your current system has either the SunGold or the grid feeding your main panel, but never both?
And your micro inverters feed the main which feeds back excess power from main to the grid.
And based on your original question, you cannot leave your micro inverters connected when off grid (connected to SunGold) because w/o frequency shifting, there is nowhere for excess power to go.

Does that sum up your system and issue you are trying to solve?

So your current system has either the SunGold or the grid feeding your main panel, but never both?
And your micro inverters feed the main which feeds back excess power from main to the grid.
And based on your original question, you cannot leave your micro inverters connected when off grid (connected to SunGold) because w/o frequency shifting, there is nowhere for excess power to go.

Does that sum up your system and issue you are trying to solve?
Yes

Going forward, is your plan to have your next system be similar in that it would switch between grid and inverter?

Do you have a budget?

Assuming you have access to battery SOC, you can just setup a basic controller to open a double pole HVAC contactor for PV shedding when SOC > ~90% and close when SOC < ~80%. You can make it more sophisticated if you add a loads power monitor to delay PV shedding if there is enough loads.

Yes, me too. Seems like a work around for inverters that don't frequency shift

Back