diy solar

diy solar

Inverter on MPP 1012LV not working?

ArmyRetired

Last fall I installed solar, an SOK 206 battery and an MPP 1012 all-in-one in our RV. Solar charging of the battery works great. Problem is I can't seem to get much useful A/C out of the inverter. It hasn't really been that big of a deal, but I would like to get it right. I can get the outdoor kitchen mini-fridge to turn on and I can get a hairdryer on low to turn on, but anything with any kind of chip doesn't seem to work. The microwave freaks out and has a constant beeping so bad I have to turn its breaker off. Not trying to run it mind you, just the clock or whatever is on prior to actually microwaving things. I can't even get a small 700w coffee pot to work.

I'm afraid I've wired something wrong, the inverter is just not working, or an incorrect setting on the all-in-one. What I'd really like to run is a small dehumidifier but that doesn't work either. I tried my multimeter in an A/C outlet (set to ACV) but the readings were certainly not what I would expect. About +/- 4 or 5 volts. Nothing consistent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Last fall I installed solar, an SOK 206 battery and an MPP 1012 all-in-one in our RV. Solar charging of the battery works great. Problem is I can't seem to get much useful A/C out of the inverter. It hasn't really been that big of a deal, but I would like to get it right. I can get the outdoor kitchen mini-fridge to turn on and I can get a hairdryer on low to turn on, but anything with any kind of chip doesn't seem to work. The microwave freaks out and has a constant beeping so bad I have to turn its breaker off. Not trying to run it mind you, just the clock or whatever is on prior to actually microwaving things. I can't even get a small 700w coffee pot to work.

I'm afraid I've wired something wrong, the inverter is just not working, or an incorrect setting on the all-in-one. What I'd really like to run is a small dehumidifier but that doesn't work either. I tried my multimeter in an A/C outlet (set to ACV) but the readings were certainly not what I would expect. About +/- 4 or 5 volts. Nothing consistent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is the unit configured for 50Hz instead of 60Hz?

Voltage should be very steady, particularly if you have a constant load.

±4-5 volts sounds like the unit may have failed.

Comments on devices:
  1. Mini-fridge may have a high surge when the compressor starts up, so it might be at the limit of what it can handle.
  2. A hair dryer on low is going to be very close to the 1000W limit of your unit.
  3. Even the smallest microwave (700W) is going to consume about 1100W of power from the inverter, so that's not an option.
  4. A dehumidifier is essentially an air conditioning unit. It's going to have a pretty heavy load (400-500W), and the surge associated with the compressor motor startup will probably overload your unit.

Did you see error code when the unit beep?
So right now you cannot power anything at all?
Can you hookup the PC to the USB port and look at the setting, especially the ECO mode (it will pulse the AC output and see if >40W of load is connected or not for it to wake up), see if it is able some how (it cannot be set using the front panel)?
Can you disconnect every thing and let it sit for half an hour then reconnect just the battery and then try running the load again and see what happen?

Did you see error code when the unit beep?
So right now you cannot power anything at all?
Can you hookup the PC to the USB port and look at the setting, especially the ECO mode (it will pulse the AC output and see if >40W of load is connected or not for it to wake up), see if it is able some how (it cannot be set using the front panel)?
Can you disconnect every thing and let it sit for half an hour then reconnect just the battery and then try running the load again and see what happen?
No errors...you nailed it though. Eco mode was causing low powered items to not work. Turned off eco mode and all is well! Thanks!

Is the unit configured for 50Hz instead of 60Hz?

Voltage should be very steady, particularly if you have a constant load.

±4-5 volts sounds like the unit may have failed.

Comments on devices:
  1. Mini-fridge may have a high surge when the compressor starts up, so it might be at the limit of what it can handle.
  2. A hair dryer on low is going to be very close to the 1000W limit of your unit.
  3. Even the smallest microwave (700W) is going to consume about 1100W of power from the inverter, so that's not an option.
  4. A dehumidifier is essentially an air conditioning unit. It's going to have a pretty heavy load (400-500W), and the surge associated with the compressor motor startup will probably overload your unit.
1-Handled mini fridge just fine. Nothing else was on.
2-The low setting on the hair dryer was 650w. Worked fine. I was just trying to check if I could get anything to work on the inverter.
3-The lights and control panel on the microwave wouldn't work under eco power and caused this hideous beeping. Turned off eco and I could switch the breaker back on. I wasn't ever planning on running the microwave, but there are other outlets that are on the microwave circuit so I was hoping to fix this, and turning off eco did the trick.
4-Small, table top dehumidifier. 65w. Working great now.

I'm glad it is working. I wish they allow to control the ECO mode via front panel, the default is OFF but the unit may have gotten scrambled.
I have 1012MS and MK too but I use external 3000W inverter so it can start my large fridge, and most of the time my load is less than 1000W so I leave my 1012 inverter off and never use the inverter function since it cannot handle large inrush current.

I'm glad it is working. I wish they allow to control the ECO mode via front panel, the default is OFF but the unit may have gotten scrambled.
I have 1012MS and MK too but I use external 3000W inverter so it can start my large fridge, and most of the time my load is less than 1000W so I leave my 1012 inverter off and never use the inverter function since it cannot handle large inrush current.
I was actually able to set (actually unset) the ECO mode from the front panel. Setting #4 I believe.

I was actually able to set (actually unset) the ECO mode from the front panel. Setting #4 I believe.
You are correct, the 1012MS setting #4 for ECO function, the MK has no #4 function for front panel so I have to use the PC to change it.
MK is what I am running right now since I upgrade my batteries bank to 790Ah so I had switch to MK which can charge the batteries at 80A max from solar.

Back