diy solar

diy solar

Inverter question

slowbutsure

Hi,

I have a 3kw inverter which has two plug sockets for outputs. I am using one of those sockets to run a cable from the shed to the house to run appliances etc. however, every few weeks it blows the 13amp plug socket fuse from the inverter. It does have a fridge, a freezer, a tv, washing machine and lights running on it. A lot for one 13 amp fuse I guess.

The question is could I use both plug sockets connected the two wires into a junction box and then that connected to the house output cable? It would have the effect of connecting the two 13 amp sockets from the inverter together. Would that cause any problems for the inverter?

Thanks.

It might be better to keep the output from each receptacle separate. You would have two circuits. Put a circuit breaker inline for each circuit.

What's the model of the 3kW inverter? Doesn't it have some terminal for directly wiring it?

Those appliances you mention shouldn't blow a 13A fuse though. Assuming 200W for the fridge, 200W freezer, 100W TV and 500W washing machine, that's 1kW. (4A at 240V).

Hi,

I have a 3kw inverter which has two plug sockets for outputs. I am using one of those sockets to run a cable from the shed to the house to run appliances etc. however, every few weeks it blows the 13amp plug socket fuse from the inverter. It does have a fridge, a freezer, a tv, washing machine and lights running on it. A lot for one 13 amp fuse I guess.

The question is could I use both plug sockets connected the two wires into a junction box and then that connected to the house output cable? It would have the effect of connecting the two 13 amp sockets from the inverter together. Would that cause any problems for the inverter?

Thanks.
He might be using 115V power, and three of those devices can surge higher than normal operating levels. He could be exceeding 13A.

The fridge is about 400w, freezer about the same but more when they crank up. I think the washing machine uses about 2kw when it’s heating the water. 240v. The inverter does not have a terminal for output, only two sockets.

Last edited:
When this 13 amp circuit trips I would think your wash machine is running and in the agitation cycle, and along with the fridge & freezer running to your exceeding 13 amps. I've seen many wash machines draw up to 9.5 amps when agitating. If possible I would get a better inverter for running to your house.

When this 13 amp circuit trips I would think your wash machine is running and in the agitation cycle, and along with the fridge & freezer running to your exceeding 13 amps. I've seen many wash machines draw up to 9.5 amps when agitating. If possible I would get a better inverter for running to your house.
I agree but unfortunatley all the good tier one inverter are sold out...especially Magnums. thats what happens when a company like magnum gets bought out by Sensata.

The only way to be sure is to find a schematic, disassemble and visual, or with a meter.

The problem you would create is the line to the house including the plugs and connectors need to handle 30 amps.

Back