diy solar

diy solar

Van conversion AC input question

Cardude

My son has a stepvan that was originally a SnapOn tool truck that he is converting to a van to live in and store his motorcycle.

The van came with a house battery bank (two 12v 100ah AGM) that runs the interior lights and provides power to the electric motor that powers the rear hydraulic lift. It also has two 12v start batteries for the diesel engine. Both these battery banks are tied to a SurePower 2403 isolator that connects both battery banks to the alternator and an onboard battery charger that connects to an RV style 130v 30amp shore power socket on the outside of the van. The 30amp shore power also connects to a panel that feeds some AC power sockets throughout the van.

I’d like to keep all that existing equipment, but I’m unsure how to tie in his 48v EG4 3000 AIO. Do I need some kind of switch like on a boat or RV (shore power/generator ) so the 30amp shore power and inverter are not powering the AC sockets at the same time? That would be bad, right?

Something like this maybe, so the AC circuit could be powered by the shore power or the generator(the inverter), but never both?

The AIO and 2-eg4 lifepo4 100ah 48v batteries will power his mini split AC, his 120v fridge, and other AC loads. I’m thinking about using the existing 12v battery bank to power all his house DC loads like led lights, water pump, fans, etc. Heat will come from an existing, built in propane heater, and stove/oven hot water heater will also be propane.

Attachments

• IMG_9980.jpeg
    IMG_9980.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don’t know about that unit, but many/most/all(?) AIO’s have a transfer switch already inside them. So the AIO would get shore power and then charge the battery and pass the 120v to the fuse box, when on batteries only, the AIO would then be an inverter and power the fuse box.

Back