diy solar

diy solar

Grounding question in a van

Cardude

img_0525-jpeg.196818

I have this temporary inverter and battery setup in a stepvan I’m working on. Solar on the roof, only thing normally plugged in is a 120v fridge that runs 24/7 and a big led light when I’m working.

I was messing around with the metal vent fan shown in the second pic, and when I was holding the fan up to the wall my arm touched the metal wall of the van and I got a decent shock.

I don’t have this inverter grounded to the van. Should I, and how do I do that?

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpeg
    IMG_0525.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0526.jpeg
    IMG_0526.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 2
Timselectric,

Can you recommend what size wire I should use for this inverter to chassis ground? And I guess it should be green?

Thanks so much.

edit: dammit, thought of another question. The closest metal object to the inverter is an aluminum h channel that is part of the cargo box and a roof support, and it connects to the floor and to the skin of the van where I got shocked. Is this a good enough attachment point, or do I need to get to the steel chassis of the truck for some reason?

Last edited:
So I got the bonding wire done today. This is just a temporary set up with the inverter and battery on a dolly, so when I install it permanently and have an AC breaker box with a couple of breakers do I need to ground that breaker box to the chassis or just leave it grounded with the inverter to the chassis.

Sorry for all the dumb questions! Thanks again.

So I got the bonding wire done today. This is just a temporary set up with the inverter and battery on a dolly, so when I install it permanently and have an AC breaker box with a couple of breakers do I need to ground that breaker box to the chassis or just leave it grounded with the inverter to the chassis.

Sorry for all the dumb questions! Thanks again.
Either way is fine. You just need a connection between the truck and the grounding system.

Back