diy solar

diy solar

Grounding

Mikemills

I have a 48 v off grid system. I’m having issues not getting power to receptacles in wall. I have an earth ground rod on the panel box. Should I be grounding it at the inverter instead?

Difficult to answer the question. Earth ground does not carry current under normal circumstances its the Hot and Neutral wires. Unless the receptacle or branch breaker is a GFI type then a faulty ground or G-N bond can be an issue.

The inverter enclosure should be grounded also. You should have run a separate ground along with the other wires between the panel and the inverter.

From the AC in to the ground bar in the panel box?
Does the AC IN have a lug for Ground? Inverter ground is normally a separate lug attached directly to the enclosure, but not always.
Could you post a wiring diagram from the inverter manual or at least provide a model number for the inverter.

Does the AC IN have a lug for Ground? Inverter ground is normally a separate lug attached directly to the enclosure, but not always.
Could you post a wiring diagram from the inverter manual or at least provide a model number for the inverter.

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpeg
    IMG_4003.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3999.jpeg
    IMG_3999.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 20
This thing is driving me crazy man I’ve double checked all my torque specs inside the panel and everywhere looks to me as everything is hooked up correctly only thing I can think of is lacking a ground somewhere

The AC OUT cable should have 3 wires. Neu, Hot (live) & ground. As long as the ground wire is connected on both ends, Inverter and ground bus in the panel you should have a good ground.

Are all breakers/disconnects closed? All fuses working? Break out a multimeter to check voltages starting from the source? Startup procedure followed (and multimeter used as appropriate)

The grounding electrode should be connected to the grounding system at one point only. The panel box is the best place for it.
You said "off grid" but mentioned "AC in". If you have a grid fed service panel. It should already have a grounding system. Including a grounding electrode.
Don't add another one.
I think that we need more specific information about your system.

The only part of the PV system that is grounded is the combiner box And yes, the ACL from inverter to panel box is grounded there to the panel as you can see in the photo

Hi. You may have to go back to basics and not assume anything. For example, if you or your friend have a meter you could check that you have the voltage you expect on your inverter terminals. Be careful and only do that if you know what you are doing of course.

That would be my recommendation. To not assume the problem, but rather just check the basics first.

From your picture in the other thread. What appears to be The main breaker is turned off.

Back