diy solar

diy solar

inverter selection

wired

I am looking for a 10k (give or take) inverter, with the following characteristics. Any suggestions? I want to be able to pull power from the grid, but do NOT want (and never will want) to send power back to the grid. 3 mppt connections minimum (2 strings needed now). I don't need stackability if at least 10k AC output. I will have a battery bank, so need a charge controller built-in. The solar array will be 5k, with possible expansion to about 7.5k in future. I'd prefer for it to be battery agnostic (I've seen some inverters with good price, but then they require very pricey batteries).

My preference would be for it to have a backup generator hookup as well, so if the grid is down it can auto start a gas-powered backup generator -- so far I've only seen this with higher priced inverters that have options I don't want. I can live with having my installer use another method to hook up a backup generator, but would like at least the potential to do this in some way.

I am looking for a 10k (give or take) inverter, with the following characteristics. Any suggestions? I want to be able to pull power from the grid, but do NOT want (and never will want) to send power back to the grid. 3 mppt connections minimum (2 strings needed now). I don't need stackability if at least 10k AC output. I will have a battery bank, so need a charge controller built-in. The solar array will be 5k, with possible expansion to about 7.5k in future. I'd prefer for it to be battery agnostic (I've seen some inverters with good price, but then they require very pricey batteries).

My preference would be for it to have a backup generator hookup as well, so if the grid is down it can auto start a gas-powered backup generator -- so far I've only seen this with higher priced inverters that have options I don't want. I can live with having my installer use another method to hook up a backup generator, but would like at least the potential to do this in some way.
Price point?
Space restrictions?
UL, NEC or Permits?
Willing to DIY a generator relay?
Open to manually controlling a few features?

Off-Grid inverter will do what you want. You will need a Transfer Switch to change between Grid and Generator for AC Input.
If you buy a Chargeverter, you can charge the batteries directly from the Generator, and avoid the cost of a Transfer Switch (but you may still need a disconnect switch).

Finding one with 3 SCC-MPPT is the hard part. There are many with 2. You might consider simply adding an additional separate SCC feeding from its own array (Note: an array can consist of multiple strings but only one SCC) to your battery bank. You did not mention your voltage needs whether you need 240vAC split phase or something else.

Auto starting a generator can be difficult since the generator must be setup to handle it. Almost all your off grid AIO's these days provide a set of Dry contacts (2 wire) to give the signal.

A Sol-Ark 12K would meet your requirements, and give you lots of expansion potential. Their customer service to DIY and off-grid customers is among the best I've seen in the industry. Beware of cheap imports with names you've never heard of. You may save upfront buying junk but might cost you over the long-term.

A Sol-Ark 12K would meet your requirements, and give you lots of expansion potential. Their customer service to DIY and off-grid customers is among the best I've seen in the industry. Beware of cheap imports with names you've never heard of. You may save upfront buying junk but might cost you over the long-term.
I correct myself- if you want 3 MPPT inputs, for Sol-Arks you'd need to go to the 15KW model. May I ask why you need 3? 3 different types of panels? The Sol-Ark 12 kw can handle over 12KW of PV, but only has 2 MPPT's.

Back