diy solar

diy solar

IOTA DLS-55-X Battery Charger

John Simmons

I have a Iota DLS - X 55 Amp battery charger that has served flawlessly for 6 years on my old AGM batteries and I WAS actually really happy with it. It has a little plug in module in the back that turns what is basically a fixed power supply into a decent cheap battery charger.

The problem is I now have a 12 Volt 1200Ah lithium ion battery built with 48 fortune 100Ah Cells controlled by the Electrodaucus BMS.
The way that the Electrodaucus prevents overcharging of the Lithium cells is to shut off the charger. All of my other charge sources (Balmar alternator with MC612 regulator, Samlex Evo30-12 inverte/charger, Morning Star MPPT controller) all have great manuals, and fantastic tech support so I am sure that they can be shut down by the Electrodaucus if there is an over voltage condition. Balmar, Samlex, Electrodaucus, and Morning Star have been awesome at tech support.

I contacted Iota tech support asking them about getting a new plug in module for Lithium batteries and was told that module was not available for the particular charger I have. They do sell a module for another series of chargers, and I was told to buy a new charger and module. I then asked about dropping the pre set voltages and if there was a remote shut off capability via a add on temp sensor. Iota never responded, so their technical support is worthless.

I found a you tube video of someone who opened up a similar unit to raise the voltages

I will probably try it in order to lower the bulk and float, but I have not done it yet. I am still clueless as to how to remotely shut the thing down. There are NO switches to turn the unit on or off on the outside. If you plug it in, it works, if you don’t, it doesn’t. No remote battery temperature sensor, no on off switch, no battery Voltage sense lead, etc. Talk about cost reduction.......

The author of the video mentions that he got the info from the Arizona wind and sun forum, but finding that thread so far has been fruitless.

So, I guess what I am asking is:
——————————————-
1) Has anyone by any chance messed with the potentiomers inside this thing?
2) Maybe someone who frequents the AZ wind and sun forum could post the link for where the YouTube guy got the info in the first place?
3) Does anyone else have an IOTA product that they remotely shut down, and if so, what did you do?
4) Does anyone have a direct link to an Iota engineer level tech support, not the first level screeners?

Thanks for the temperature sensor idea.
Wish I'd thought of it.

Back