diy solar

diy solar

36 Volt Trolling Motor Series Battery Charger Install

harleyfx

Installing my 75" Kraken Trolling Motor. I just ordered 3 x 12 Volt 100ah TM LiTime batteries.

I need to order a charger to charge these batteries installed in series.
I need some help with figuring out how to hook up the charger to charge these batteries in series. (Without disconnecting the batteries from series to charge)
I've been thinking of getting the "Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp 120VAC, 3 Output Battery Charger NEMA 5-15, Bluetooth"

I understand how to wire the 3 batteries in series and how to install the charger as well but:

Will this charger work as I mentioned above although it has a common ground for each of the 3 outputs ?
Will this charger work for charging the batteries when hooked up in series during charging without disconnecting the from series?

I've read a lot about batteries can short out with a common ground when charging in series or cause damage etc.

Not sure if this is accurate but I'm a little nervous hooking it up and finding out I shorted out a battery etc..

If anyone has info on what you are using and how it's wired up I would appreciate it. If anyone is using the Victron IP22 3 output I would appreciate knowing how you hooked it up.

Should I be looking at a different charger? I like the ability to customize the charging profile in order to control charge voltages in order to preserve the batteries.

I am not using solar charging at all or intend to go DC charging from the main engine.

I have been searching the forum and cannot find specifically what I'm asking here. If someone knows of a thread that you can help me find I would appreciate it.

I've read the manual for the charger as well and cannot find the info I need.

Thanks in advance, your help is appreciated. If I'm incorrect in posting this here let me know.

Cheers

Installing my 75" Kraken Trolling Motor. I just ordered 3 x 12 Volt 100ah TM LiTime batteries.

I need to order a charger to charge these batteries installed in series.
I need some help with figuring out how to hook up the charger to charge these batteries in series. (Without disconnecting the batteries from series to charge)
I've been thinking of getting the "Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp 120VAC, 3 Output Battery Charger NEMA 5-15, Bluetooth"

I understand how to wire the 3 batteries in series and how to install the charger as well but:

Will this charger work as I mentioned above although it has a common ground for each of the 3 outputs ?
Will this charger work for charging the batteries when hooked up in series during charging without disconnecting the from series?

I've read a lot about batteries can short out with a common ground when charging in series or cause damage etc.

Not sure if this is accurate but I'm a little nervous hooking it up and finding out I shorted out a battery etc..

If anyone has info on what you are using and how it's wired up I would appreciate it. If anyone is using the Victron IP22 3 output I would appreciate knowing how you hooked it up.

Should I be looking at a different charger? I like the ability to customize the charging profile in order to control charge voltages in order to preserve the batteries.

I am not using solar charging at all or intend to go DC charging from the main engine.

I have been searching the forum and cannot find specifically what I'm asking here. If someone knows of a thread that you can help me find I would appreciate it.

I've read the manual for the charger as well and cannot find the info I need.

Thanks in advance, your help is appreciated. If I'm incorrect in posting this here let me know.

Cheers

It won't work if it's common ground.

This charger will work though.

Last edited:
It won't work if it's common ground.

This charger will work though.

States in the manual below (underlined) it includes FET battery isolator and isolated outputs, does this mean you can have the batteries connected in series and charge them?

I like the NOCO charger but it doesn't allow any customization of the charging profile, the IP22 is preferred but if I can't, I guess I can't.

Thanks for the response!

Cheers

4.7. Multiple isolated outputs
The Blue Smart IP22 Charger 3 output models include an integrated FET battery isolator and multiple isolated outputs.
Multiple isolated outputs make it possible for a single charger to charge multiple individual batteries that are at a different
voltage/SOC level without current flow between the batteries, and with the charge current intrinsically distributed between all
batteries depending on their voltage/SOC level and capacity.

The 3 output charger models can supply the full rated output current from all 3 outputs; however the combined current of all
outputs is limited to the full rated output current.
The multiple isolated outputs are not regulated individually, one charge algorithm (charge cycle and charge
voltage) is applied to all outputs; accordingly all batteries will need to be compatible with the common charge
algorithm (typically the same chemistry type).

Dual pro makes chargers like you are needing.

Added - their chargers are actually multiple independent chargers in one case. they are designed so that you can just wire each charger to each battery - and just keep them in series.

There are two versions, a pro and sportsman model. Since you have 3 batteries, just get the model for 3 batteries.

I have two of them ( for 2 batteries at a time) and use them to make matched sets of Battleborn batteries. BBs are a more precise battery so they stay in balance for a very long time.

Make sure that the battery that you have purchased is rated to be wired in series like that - some are, some are only rated for 12 volts.

Last edited:
Why not just get a 36v charger? The below one claims a IP67 rating.

Edit: Nevermind, ignore me. You shouldn't charge LFP batteries in series without a balancer which would be an extra bit of cost and complexity.

Last edited:
States in the manual below (underlined) it includes FET battery isolator and isolated outputs, does this mean you can have the batteries connected in series and charge them?

I like the NOCO charger but it doesn't allow any customization of the charging profile, the IP22 is preferred but if I can't, I guess I can't.

Thanks for the response!

Cheers

The Blue Smart IP22 Charger 3 output models include an integrated FET battery isolator and multiple isolated outputs.
Multiple isolated outputs make it possible for a single charger to charge multiple individual batteries that are at a different
voltage/SOC level without current flow between the batteries, and with the charge current intrinsically distributed between all

The 3 output charger models can supply the full rated output current from all 3 outputs; however the combined current of all
The multiple isolated outputs are not regulated individually, one charge algorithm (charge cycle and charge
voltage) is applied to all outputs; accordingly all batteries will need to be compatible with the common charge

If the ground from all 3 batteries is shared, then the charger will see 12, 24 and 36 volts connected to a charger only designed for 12 volts.

You can use two 12 volt battery tenders to charge two 12 volt batteries in series that make up a 24 volt system.

However, if you then jumpered between the two negatives. The first battery tender now sees 24 volts and you also have a 12Volt short circuit on your jumper.

I think I think I thought that through right... 🤔

Thanks for the response!

Cheers

I can't say 100% but I think the FETs are on the positive so current cannot flow between the batteries when connected to multiple batteries.

However, if the negative cables are common, and you try and connect the 6 leads to 3 batteries in series then you're just going to have a bunch of melted negative leads on your hands. That's akin to a direct short between the 1st and 2nd batteries if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Also, make your own pack and get a 36 volt charger.

3x the Ah as those litimes for less money😊

Planning on doing this to my boat. 1 group 31 sized lithium pack and go the whole week vs 2 group 31's for 3 hours.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess the NOCO is probably my best bet for the charger. I will look into the Dualpro as well.
Cheers

Op, I would get a 36v charger,

if you need a waterproof one, you can get a meanwell hlg-xxx-36A
else, my go to charger is a meanwell NPB-450-48

to monitor current/voltage you can a victron external monitor.

I opt'd to get a 12v with bluetooth bms, and one in a chain, just one BT battery will be enough to show the current for a pack in series.

Op, I would get a 36v charger,

if you need a waterproof one, you can get a meanwell hlg-xxx-36A
else, my go to charger is a meanwell NPB-450-48

to monitor current/voltage you can a victron external monitor.

I opt'd to get a 12v with bluetooth bms, and one in a chain, just one BT battery will be enough to show the current for a pack in series.
Thanks for the info, I will have a look.

Thought this was going to be straight forward lol...not so much for a rookie lol

Thanks for the help everyone

Back