diy solar

diy solar

IronRidge 17' 6" rails

jzampieron

Hi,

Thinking about a ground mount array system. My preference is 5 rows x 6 columns and the IronRidge online designer will let me do this for the panels I've selected.

However, the local dealer isn't sure about the 17' 6" XR1000 rails (210") that the IronRidge Online BoM spits out... the standard are 204" and that's what the dealer thinks they can source.

Does anyone know of an IronRidge dealer that can actually source the longer rails or are the longer ones vapor ware?

Standard iron lengths (pipe, tube, etc.) from my local metal suppliers are 20' so if those XR1000s are extruded then 17' 6" should be available.

Thanks.

Call Ironridge and ask them who stocks the rails or if they can pass you along to a distributor than can process your order.

Hi,

Thinking about a ground mount array system. My preference is 5 rows x 6 columns and the IronRidge online designer will let me do this for the panels I've selected.

However, the local dealer isn't sure about the 17' 6" XR1000 rails (210") that the IronRidge Online BoM spits out... the standard are 204" and that's what the dealer thinks they can source.

Does anyone know of an IronRidge dealer that can actually source the longer rails or are the longer ones vapor ware?

Standard iron lengths (pipe, tube, etc.) from my local metal suppliers are 20' so if those XR1000s are extruded then 17' 6" should be available.

Thanks.
17 feet is all you can get for a full length, I know, I have a big stack here. Here is the cut sheet.

I ordered extensions from Stellavolta and will have to cut rails as I need 17'6" like you. I have the extensions here but need to determine where I need to cut the rails without wasting material that could be used elsewhere. The extensions won't let you bolt to the top as they slip inside but might be able to install the extension and slip a 6" piece over it.

One of those things I haven't tackled yet.

I dug out the extension splices and looked at how to extend the rails. Splices are 11" long. I will be cutting around 12" sections of rail and slip 5.5" over the splice, then slide the splice into the main rail. These come with 4 stainless self tapping screws to the splice, one of each side of the rails and thru the splice. The splice will be at the upper end of the rail.

Ok, that's just a poor overall CX from Iron Ridge.

Their design system creates designs that you can't actually purchase... the BOM generator should automatically include the splices and rail lengths that you can actually order.

In general...

I am not impressed with Iron Ridge at all... their local dealer is having problems even executing an order for me. I might have to cancel it and figure out something else...

Their design system creates designs that you can't actually purchase... the BOM generator should automatically include the splices and rail lengths that you can actually order.

In general...

I am not impressed with Iron Ridge at all... their local dealer is having problems even executing an order for me. I might have to cancel it and figure out something else...
I prefer Tamarack myself but I sourced some used mounts and those came with Iron Ridge. Tamarack though won't get you to 17' 6" without splices either.

I think you need to find a better dealer.

There are only two dealers in my area.

One stopped answering emails after I asked why I should pay 2x for QCell instead of going w/ Aptos from SS... the other isn't really a true dealer, but can order one-offs, even though they are listed on the Iron Ridge site.

Basically Iron Ridge needs to get their dealer network in the northeast in better shape.

It's done and done now, but I ended up having to pay a carton breakage fee. In the scheme of the cost of the project the $200 isn't much, but I just want folks to be aware of what the DIY Iron Ridge experience can be -- which is pretty slow and crappy.

Honestly, if the order wasn't on its way I'd probably just DIY it all with Unistrut. I can source that anywhere and not have to pay freight or deal with dealers that half-support the manufacturer.

Noting that in my ROM costs the Unistruct was at least as expensive, if not a bit more than the Iron Ridge materials for comparable strengths and spans.

So that's the take away... if you want Iron Ridge ... be prepared to fight for it.

Unirac appears to make up to 246" long.
I used Unirac, really liked them. They also have design software. I went with 2 shorter pieces per row with a bonding splice bar to make it easier to handle. I also used their Flashloc mounts, really liked those too. Sample

They don't make unistrut in 17' 6" lengths either.

I have yet to figure out what the problem is. I bought splices from Stellavolta for under $7 each. Then add 12" to the rail. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ironridge-17-6-rails.84097/post-1097923 but doing that isn't drama.........
My local electrical supply shop is able to source Unistrut in 10' or 20' lengths and whatever flange depth I want. They also have shelf-stock of the standard 1 5/8"x1 5/8"x10', which I use for tons of other mounting around the house.

I know this b/c I checked the prices vs Iron Ridge as well as used Unistrut for a bunch of the in-house AC electrical work and equipment mounting. I decided to run cable tray in my mechanical room to my critical load panel b/c I have tons of expansion plans and wanted easy cable runs without romex (NM) nailed to the ceiling everywhere.

I liked the span vs strength vs cost of Iron Ridge better so that's where I landed for this project. YMMV. Batteries definitely not included.

I still need some Unistrut to mount the outdoor combiner box and disconnect and bring in the termination of the 150' - 200' of conduit I need to trench. I just need to make sure its the Hot-Gal finish instead of the plain finish.

Unirac appears to make up to 246" long.
I used Unirac, really liked them. They also have design software. I went with 2 shorter pieces per row with a bonding splice bar to make it easier to handle. I also used their Flashloc mounts, really liked those too. Sample

246" / 12 = 20.5'

I use Unirac Solarmount, have done U/LA ground mounts so far, starting a rooftop installation now.
Bottom bolt, top clamp, or something that hooks over PV frame edge under the panel.

First ones were "standard" (medium strength) custom cut down to 18' to fit 8, 120W panels.
I picked up some "heavy", an I-beam or rather "C" cross section (correct part for U/LA); those happened to be 17'.
And a bunch of "light", which are for rooftop with more frequent supports. Those are 20.5'

Page 2, Light, Standard, Heavy rails.

Back