diy solar

diy solar

Is 12v 4p setup more 'safe' than a 2s2p setup at 24v?

dsaint1884

Running 4x12v (24.3voc) panels in parallel keeps voltage at 24.3 Voc while if I run 2s2p I'm at 48.6Voc. I understand the efficiencies gained of running the 2s2p configuration but I'm getting those at the cost of upping the voltage of the system. Does this make it inherently less safe should something go wrong?

The panels just have the MC4 connectors and it's on a van so there's no way to earth ground them and the panels don't have any ground to them, it's just the positive and negative leads. If the circuit somehow completes through the skin of the van it seems like the lower voltage would be a safer system, but I'm not sure how to think about it.

Just a personal opinion - I wouldn't worry that much about 48.6Voc. I understand from reading that yes, as you go above 24v nominal there is a gradual increase in shock risk but it's not as strong as say 120v in home wiring. But like any circuity - use proper wire, penetration glands, control boxes (or cover all wires/lugs/bus-bars) and the risk is pretty darn low. 12v is not risk free as it can short/cause a fire :)

I run a 48v system in my trailer with 2s2p panels at 60Vmpp with no problems.

Just a personal opinion - I wouldn't worry that much about 48.6Voc. I understand from reading that yes, as you go above 24v nominal there is a gradual increase in shock risk but it's not as strong as say 120v in home wiring. But like any circuity - use proper wire, penetration glands, control boxes (or cover all wires/lugs/bus-bars) and the risk is pretty darn low. 12v is not risk free as it can short/cause a fire :)

I run a 48v system in my trailer with 2s2p panels at 60Vmpp with no problems.
Thank you for the opinion. That seems to be the consensus, that yes it's more dangerous but it's still <50v and in the 'low voltage' category so just be careful and enjoy the efficiency of 2s2p. I've done everything I can on the wiring in the van to make sure if there's a short a fuse would pop and stop the circuit but between the solar panel and the MPPT it seems like all you can do is protect the wires/connections and don't touch both terminals.

Back