diy solar

diy solar

Is Bluetti EB3A any good as a UPS?

z_zk_z

There are many good reviews on YouTube on this unit and it could be a nice computer UPS replacement (compared to old fashion UPS types), however I have a 13 watt LED light connected to its AC output and I can physically see the light blink when I unplug its AC input source, which tells me that it's output power interruption (i.e., when switching to battery source) is closer to a second (visible by human eyes) versus being in milliseconds. Has anyone looked at the power interruption on an oscilloscope? Has anyone also noticed random switching in UPS mode when AC input source is connected (ps, I noticed my light blink once for no reason)?

For what it's worth, I purchased an EB3A to use as a LifePO4 ups for my computer. It actually does work if the power goes out suddenly--the computer stayed on without issue. However, several times I left my office and when I came back, my computer was rebooted. No power outage, battery at 100%. Eventually I plugged my computer into my old UPS and the UPS into the EB3A. 2-4 times a day, the EB3A would momentarily turn off power, then restart. That was just long enough to reboot my computer previously. After a few days, the "blinking" increased in frequency and I was worried about damaging the ups, so I plugged it back into the wall. However, I contacted bluetti support and they told me to upgrade the firmware. I did so, and that actually increased the frequency of the "blinks". Support eventually just shrugged and had no further help as to finding a solution. I am severely disappointed in that it won't be good just as a portable power source for a lot of electronics due to the random power on/off/on cycles. Does anyone know of a LifePO4, affordable power station usable as a desktop UPS? Do NOT buy the EB3A! Also, due to supports lack of interest, I won't be purchasing any bluetti products.

Yeah I tried using the EB3A as a UPS for our internet and my wife’s laptop and monitor and the thing just shuts off randomly. She now uses it as a portable power station to take her laptop and hotspot to the barn when she rides her horse. I tried submitting a ticket via the Bluetti app but never got any response. They don’t really have support.

Yes, I was shocked that there is no support at all. Just some guy emailing me without any way to address the issue. I mainly wanted to warn everyone. In your case, your wife can use it because her laptop and Hotspot have a battery backup for the battery backup, right? Lol.

Not quite. Her work laptop requires power to connect to a hotspot per their security settings so she has to have the laptop plugged into the Bluetti AC plug in order to work. The AC seems to work fine when not also plugged into the wall.

Mine has been working ~5 days as my computer UPS. I've not tried unplugging AC power, but it at least hasn't blipped on its own. My typical AC load is ~100W, sometimes up to 160W. My only complaint so far is the recharge cycle with very loud fan noise.

Well, that is good to hear that it works for some folks. I have seen quite a few other people online that have the same issue as me and ryanyoder. However, it looks like some are working as they are supposed to. I did test my unit after ryanyoder's comment -- it does function when not plugged into the wall. However, with such a small battery, that's not the use case I purchased it for.

I recently tested mine with my pellet stove in UPS mode. Worked overnight for 2 nights no problem. Randomly pulled the AC in power cord several times and it switched fast enough to not bother the pellet stove.

Bluetti EB3A was not designed correctly and the company should stop selling it. I have noticed in the UPS mode, when the battery level drops below 100% and the EB3A starts to recharge its battery, during that period of time, the unit generates too much harmonics on the 120-volt AC line that messes up my PC's monitor (located next to EB3A but not plugged into it). I originally had my PC & its monitor plugged into the EB3A (UPS mode) and noticed the monitor is acting funny, and then I unplugged my PC & its monitor and plugged them into a regular 120-volt outlet. Troubleshooting indicated that my monitor starts to act funny at the same time the Bluetti EB3A is trying to recharge its battery back to 100% in the UPS mode and when the EB3A is fully charged, my monitor behaves normally. I never had any issue with my monitor until I got the Bluetti EB3A.

Back