diy solar

diy solar

Looking for troubleshooting help. Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-48P does not register solar panels. Is the MPPT no good?

IslandCanuck

Hey DIY Solar Power community,

I recently just finished installing my solar panels on the roof of my wood shed, did some VDC tests to confirm the array then flipped the PV Breaker switch and, nothing happened. My Growatt inverter doesn't recognize the solar panels and I've been trying to diagnose why. I was hoping this community could help. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time. Here's some details:

I have a Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-48P system with 2x EG4-Lifepower4-48V 5120w batteries connected in parallel (no bus bar/rack). I have 4 Jinko 465w bifacial solar panels that are configured in 2 pairs of panels in series that are combined into one parallel line with a y-connector.
Solar Panel spec sheet here: https://www.jinkosolar.com/uploads/TR JKM445-465M-7RL3-TV-A1.1-EN.pdf

I've had the system running for over a month now without solar panels connected using grid power. Everything in that regard seems to be working like a charm, exactly as I've configured it. Batteries supply the AC output load until the cut off, grid AC takes over powering the load and charging the batteries. Gone through many cycles with the batteries already.

Last weekend I got the solar panels ready to go and they are not being picked up by the inverter in any fashion. No Solar Panel light illuminating on the display, no charge reading, nothing. I've had no errors, beeps or faults at all.

There is about 50ft of PV wire (10gauge I believe, need to confirm) for each series and 150ft from the y-connector to the inverter. Same gauge.

I've tested the VDC of each panel individually in the sun and get ~50V. I tested each series and I get the expected VDC of ~100. I've also tested the combined end of the y-connector, input into the PV breaker switch AND the terminals on the Growatt inverter. They all test at ~100V. I actually did a test in the full moon (clear skies) and got about 60VDC which I thought was rather neat. I've seen between ~80V and 104V at the inverter terminals, morning to midday.

As far as I understand my system, I'm well within the operating voltage range and well under the 145vdc maximum.

I'm led to believe that the MPPT in my inverter is toast and was possibly faulty upon arrival?

I've tried shutting everything down, disconnecting the grid line in and booted up the batteries, inverter then the PV Breaker switch in that order and nothing still.
Here are my inverter systems (what I've changed/think are relevant anyway):
1 - SOL
2 - 60A
5 - US2
11 - 5
12 - 51.2
13 - 54
14 - CSO
19 - 56.4
20 - 54
21 - 48
22 - disabled

I have not tested amperage from the panels because I do not have the proper tools to do so. Should I? I was looking to pick up this clamp meter from amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/KAIWEETS-Multimeter-Auto-ranging-Temperature-Capacitance/dp/B07Z398YWF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=electrical+clamp+meter&s=hi&sr=1-1-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.b06bdbbe-20fd-4ebc-88cf-fa04f1ca0da8&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Would it be worthwhile to test amperage before reaching out to Growatt/supplier customer service? I fear I fried my own system. Is that possible with this configuration? Anyone have any other suggestions on how to diagnose the problem? Thanks again for reading and your time.

Attachments

• 20231028_094047.jpg
    20231028_094047.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231028_094214.jpg
    20231028_094214.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This could be a MPPT board faulty issue, I met similar scenario like this with a SPF5000 inverter. You could contact Growatt for troubleshooting or RMA. One question, why don't you connect 4 solar panels into one string, the PV voltage will be higher and fit into the MPPT range of that inverter.

Back