diy solar

diy solar

is grounding light switches necesary?

mani

This is not purely related to solar power but I´ve run into this building the elctrical system for my van. I have this rocker switch and it has 3 terminals.

+
appliance
ground

I was wondering if it is really necessary to ground the switch. It would cost me a lot in extra wire so I would like to avoid it if it is safe.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-20 at 13.52.12.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-20 at 13.52.12.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 5
None of the switches in my RV are grounded. They have two wires running to them.

Just in case, this switch is for a DC load, correct?

New and improved....I have never seen a ground on a small low voltage switch before....

Marketing guy... "hay the cost of these switches are getting too cheap and 10% profit of nil is almost nothing"......
Engineer guy... "Lets call NEC and have them mandate a ground on these switches so we can increase the cost and make more money"....
NEC guy... "Great idea, will make more money printing another version of our code book....version 2023 coming"....

New and improved....I have never seen a ground on a small low voltage switch before....

Marketing guy... "hay the cost of these switches are getting too cheap and 10% profit of nil is almost nothing"......
Engineer guy... "Lets call NEC and have them mandate a ground on these switches so we can increase the cost and make more money"....
NEC guy... "Great idea, will make more money printing another version of our code book....version 2023 coming"....

Cynical and funny.

Mani,
Here is a way to think about this, to satisfy yourself that it is safe to NOT ground a switch that is controlling 12 volt DC power ... NEC requires metal switch boxes, and metal switch frames, that are switching 120 volt AC power because if a “hot” wire comes loose and touches the metal box, or the switch frame, and then if you touch the box, or a mounting screw, then current pushed by 120 VAC potential can flow through your body to any ground surface you are touching. While that probably wouldn’t be fatal, it could be, and it might welll be quite unpleasant.

If the same thing were to happen with respect to that switch controlling 12 volts, it is
unlikely that you could even feel it, much less be harmed. It would no more harmful than grabbing hold of the positive terminal of you car battery while standing in a salt-water filled wading pool, and simultaneously leaning against the chrome bumper ... which is to say, not harmful. ( OK, well, maybe raw flesh, but not intact skin.)

All that said, there IS risk if the switch is not properly fused, while connected to a high current source. But those risks are arcing, metal spatter, and heat. Avoid that with proper fusing, and not by grounding.

As HRKDT and newbostoncons correctly say, such grounding isn’t normally done, and isn’t required.

Mani,
Here is a way to think about this, to satisfy yourself that it is safe to NOT ground a switch that is controlling 12 volt DC power ... NEC requires metal switch boxes, and metal switch frames, that are switching 120 volt AC power because if a “hot” wire comes loose and touches the metal box, or the switch frame, and then if you touch the box, or a mounting screw, then current pushed by 120 VAC potential can flow through your body to any ground surface you are touching. While that probably wouldn’t be fatal, it could be, and it might welll be quite unpleasant.

If the same thing were to happen with respect to that switch controlling 12 volts, it is
unlikely that you could even feel it, much less be harmed. It would no more harmful than grabbing hold of the positive terminal of you car battery while standing in a salt-water filled wading pool, and simultaneously leaning against the chrome bumper ... which is to say, not harmful. ( OK, well, maybe raw flesh, but not intact skin.)

All that said, there IS risk if the switch is not properly fused, while connected to a high current source. But those risks are arcing, metal spatter, and heat. Avoid that with proper fusing, and not by grounding.

As HRKDT and newbostoncons correctly say, such grounding isn’t normally done, and isn’t required.
I guess you have never been real sweaty and laid your arm across bare metal of the car while touching the positive cable clamp. Won't kill you of course, but if you sweat like I do, it will sure get your attention.

diy solar

diy solar
Back