diy solar

diy solar

Is it me or all these off grid Asian inverters built by one company and rebranded?

road glide

Lurking the last 2 months viewing and researching off grid inverter for possible purchase with PV priority, utility grid if needed, split phase USA 120-240 with or without batteries 3500 - 6000.
It seems like when I find one that might be a candidate, I read reviews and my balloon gets popped....
Units seem to be NOT trouble free and I understand it could be installer or operator (If it has parts any could fail) Most of the reviews are I just bought mine, too soon to tell
Renogy, EG4, SunGlow, PowMr, Growatt, SunPower, Vevor, etc....are these all built by SRNE and repackaged?
Victron and Midnite solar have good reviews.
We have one plant with SMA products ( 2 SI's and 5kw SB US 41) ..pretty bullet proof but with Sunny Boy and Sunny Island combo you are either 100% off grid or on grid

Do you want to backfeed the grid?

With Sunny Island & Sunny Boy, one mode of operation keeps battery full while grid is up, and backfeeds from PV.
A different mode operates as off-grid, connecting grid only if SoC drops below a certain level. Doesn't backfeed.
What I'm not aware of is a way to cycle the battery for time shifting.

I don't have experience using it with lithium batteries, but some people here do.

Do you want to backfeed the grid?

With Sunny Island & Sunny Boy, one mode of operation keeps battery full while grid is up, and backfeeds from PV.
A different mode operates as off-grid, connecting grid only if SoC drops below a certain level. Doesn't backfeed.
What I'm not aware of is a way to cycle the battery for time shifting.

I don't have experience using it with lithium batteries, but some people here do.
Nope..... on the backfeed....
as you know because you have Sunny Islands there are 4 settings....PV only, Gen (which still has PV), Grid and Gen/grid. My existing system is Gen
My post shows I am sold on SMA but Amazon, Facebook forums, Solar forums have lots of reviews when you view comments.
It seems like alot of these Chinese inverters that the quality is not there and either after purchase or down the road they act up and need repair or replacement.

Sooo...my original question is: Is one manfacturer spitting out the above named inverters irregardles to burning them in or hard testing.
I guess maybe I shouldn't be so pro SMA....but who wants to go through an install and then have to redo everything, wait on line for service, etc

Last edited:
Lots of folks are pro lithium...which is different strokes for diff folks...
Although lithium is listed in the SI manual, it takes the Rec-Bms system to function properly or Raspbery work around (which is way over my skill set)

Lurking the last 2 months viewing and researching off grid inverter for possible purchase with PV priority, utility grid if needed, split phase USA 120-240 with or without batteries 3500 - 6000.
It seems like when I find one that might be a candidate, I read reviews and my balloon gets popped....
Units seem to be NOT trouble free and I understand it could be installer or operator (If it has parts any could fail) Most of the reviews are I just bought mine, too soon to tell
Renogy, EG4, SunGlow, PowMr, Growatt, SunPower, Vevor, etc....are these all built by SRNE and repackaged?
We have one plant with SMA products ( 2 SI's and 5kw SB US 41) ..pretty bullet proof but with Sunny Boy and Sunny Island combo you are either 100% off grid or on grid
SRNE?
I thought Voltronic Axpert is the OEM for all of them?

Sooo...my original question is: Is one manfacturer spitting out the above named inverters
The CCP controls the pseudo capitalism in China. There is no unauthorized competition in the marketplace. Only a high level party member could give you the answer. You won't get it here.

The CCP controls the pseudo capitalism in China. There is no unauthorized competition in the marketplace. Only a high level party member could give you the answer. You won't get it here.
Well, I'll keep looking and reading reviews. Lux Power 6kw grid or hybrid seems interesting so far

We have heard that EG4 PowerPro works closed-loop with Sunny Island.
Fairly new report, maybe in time some issues will pop up. Or maybe not.

While a pair of Sunny Island (plus a Midnight Classic 250) can be had for $4k, seems a competitive option for the battery portion of up to 24kW PV system.
I try to buy Sunny Boys for $0.10/W.

Voltronic = Axpert = MPP
Growatt is Growatt
SNRE and many re-badge models of their products out there
lots of CN copies - POWRMR etc
then there are the sub-assemblies internal to the models - lots of shared parts there it seems.
Growatt Min-TLX model is Growatt own design.
Growatt SPF model = Voltronic Axpert OEM.

Tier one equipment Victron (but typically not UL), Midnight, Fronius, SMA, Samlex

Lower tier but reliable stuff Growatt, EG4, MPP, Luxpower, SRNE, Deye

Then all the rebadged stuff and clones
"One Plant" - are you using the inverter for a commercial/industrial application?
Will it be 3P?
There are commercial scale inverters 30wk an up - but we don't typcially discuss those on the forum.

Would there be advantages to matching equipment - for staff learning curve and maint reasons, standardization can be a good option in many commerical industrial settings, assuming that is what you mean.

Growatt Min-TLX model is Growatt own design.
Growatt SPF model = Voltronic Axpert OEM.
that may be so, growatt is it's own OEM it seems at least on some models,
I have seen this discussed a few times on the forum. I don't have any Growatt equipment of my own.

They're built by at least 3 companies and then rebranded.

But you can buy better, you can buy western design, we still have Schneider, Outback, Victron, and Midnite. The power is in your hands to put your money on quality. You will just have to sacrifice some features and functionality.

They're built by at least 3 companies and then rebranded.

But you can buy better, you can buy western design, we still have Schneider, Outback, Victron, and Midnite. The power is in your hands to put your money on quality. You will just have to sacrifice some features and functionality.
not sure about Schneider any more, at least from the comments from those that do have it.

Does not sound like you know what you need. Start with a energy audit.

Tier one equipment Victron (but typically not UL), Midnight, Fronius, SMA, Samlex

"One Plant" - are you using the inverter for a commercial/industrial application?
Will it be 3P?
There are commercial scale inverters 30wk an up - but we don't typcially discuss those on the forum.

Would there be advantages to matching equipment - for staff learning curve and maint reasons, standardization can be a good option in many commerical industrial settings, assuming that is what you mean.
Sorry, for poor choice of words..not commercial or industrial.
Small ag ranch powers barn and home 6800 ground mount, AC coupled

Will it be 3P?

What I am seeing is your TIER ratings are spot on.

Back