diy solar

diy solar

Is it OK to leave solar panels in sunlight not connected to anything?

I am getting ready to install 400W of solar on the roof of my van, but it will be some time before I am ready to hook them up to an MPPT controller and batteries. Is there any harm in leaving the solar panels disconnected for a time?
Thanks
Yes it's ok but don't let the wires touch.

You can't go wrong with SanTan Solar.

I bought 42 used 250W panels for about $30 each plus shipping.
They test at full spec, and I'm pleased as punch.

I have an off-grid setup; they can't be used for grid-tie.
What @Ale said. That's where I got mine, and they are working flawless so far. They shorted me a cable on the shipment. I emailed them, and I had a Fed-Ex package a couple days later.

What @Ale said. That's where I got mine, and they are working flawless so far. They shorted me a cable on the shipment. I emailed them, and I had a Fed-Ex package a couple days later.
Lol. Contrast that with the customer service in Peru. My distributor charged me for a couple cable sets that weren't even necessary, and they didn't even send them. When I finally realized it, they denied the fact that they left out the cables, and then gave me the silent treatment every time I tried calling from then on.

I was speaking to a couple of guys from an Austin Texas solar company

and they tried to tell me that the power had to be used or the solar panel would catch on fire from all the pent up energy

I’m just learning about solar but even I knew that was wrong
Lol, that's hilarious but what stupidity to claim that.

I was speaking to a couple of guys from an Austin Texas solar company

and they tried to tell me that the power had to be used or the solar panel would catch on fire from all the pent up energy

I’m just learning about solar but even I knew that was wrong
I know this is an old thread, but I've been reading that commercial scale panels are a different sort, and they do need to remain loaded. Home scale panels are a different breed, and do not need to remain loaded. Those pros probably only know their own systems.

Back