diy solar

diy solar

What could be the problem in my system

Easyyokefilms

I have a 40A HQST MPPT charge controller with 2pcs of 300w solar panel. The maximum power I have gotten out of the two solar panels in very bright sunligt combined is 220W which is far from the 600w the panels are rated for. I had initially thought perhaps I had bought junk solar panels so I decided to switch to a more reputable brand. I recently purchased a single Jinko 550w panel, however in bright sunlight I am getting just 225W out of the Jinko panel too. So I am wondering, what could be going on exactly. My charge controller does not have any current limiting function that I would have said maybe the controller is limiting my outputs to 220w. Because the first array was giving me 220w as well. Now this 550w panel is also giving me just 225w leaving me to wonder what exactly I might be doing wrong. I am in a region with full sunlight, no cloud. What part of my system should I start my troubleshooting from please

Link model of charge controller.

There has to be somewhere for the power to go. Battery must be able to except the power, or there must be loads present to use it.

Recommend you attach a 600W load and re-test at high noon.

Link model of charge controller.

There has to be somewhere for the power to go. Battery must be able to except the power, or there must be loads present to use it.

Recommend you attach a 600W load and re-test at high noon.

Thats the controller. Once load exceeds 200w, battery starts to gets discharged as shown on the battery monitor so that means it is only 200w or there about that the battery is getting in from the controller. So I am really confused as to where to even begin my troubleshooting

Looks legit.

Thats the controller. Once load exceeds 200w, battery starts to gets discharged as shown on the battery monitor so that means it is only 200w or there about that the battery is getting in from the controller. So I am really confused as to where to even begin my troubleshooting

It can take awhile for the MPPT to react to loads. Have you let loads run for at least 5 minutes?

Generally speaking:
  1. Solar panels almost never put out rated power because rated power conditions almost never exist.
  2. Solar panels must be perfectly perpendicular to the sun at high noon on a perfectly clear day. Flat on a roof or the ground will produce notably less than rated.
  3. Even SLIGHT shading on a single cell can dramatically reduce a panels output. Shade a single cell, and you can cut power by 30-50%.

Link your panels. A lot of no-name Chinese panels list absurd ratings. At a minimum, I need to know the length and width of your panels.

As far as troubleshooting goes, have you confirmed the Voc and Isc ratings of your panels at high noon with the panel perpendicular to the sun?

How are you measuring the amps. The display in the controller or at the load terminals, or bluetooth?
The load terminals self limit. Most folks just hook everything to the battery terminals so you can draw max battery power if you need it
A almost charged battery can also limit the controllers output

"The max load output is 20A. If it exceeds the 20A DC load (240w), the overvoltage will turn off the output".

"The max load output is 20A. If it exceeds the 20A DC load (240w), the overvoltage will turn off the output".

I understand it is limited to 20A. The load port is at battery voltage, not necessarily 12V, so while charging or in float, power may be 260W or as high as 290W. Load port overload generates an E05 display error.

Also stated that when loads exceed 200W, the battery starts discharging meaning the 500-600W of PV isn't producing more than 200W.

While I agree load port usage should be done with an understanding of it's limitations, all the evidence points to an input issue.

, all the evidence points to an input issue.
That why I asked how he was measuring things and how an almost charged battery effects things. The display has load amps and charging amps wouldn't be the first time a wrong button pushed messed things up.
An amp/volt meter would sure answer a lot of questions

Back