diy solar

diy solar

the limits of the HVD function in the Solar Charge Controller

eltonG

I live in the torrid zone north of the Earth's equator. Since the sun rises my 300W solar panel generates 39+vdc. The HVD parameter of my solar charge controller has an upper limit value of 30vdc. [1] Am I wasting 25% of the voltage my solar panel produces? [2] Is there another solar charge controller that is more efficient, i.e. that the percentage of waste is smaller? If the answer is "yes", xf. Give me the reference to search for it on the web and purchase it. Thank you.

Yes, a 24vdc battery system is being charged. If the HVD is at the 30vdc value, in my situation "the generation reaches 39+vdc very quickly in the morning, and lasts like this all day" is the recovery of the Ampere Hours that are consumed disabled?

Yes, a 24vdc battery system is being charged. If the HVD is at the 30vdc value, in my situation "the generation reaches 39+vdc very quickly in the morning, and lasts like this all day" is the recovery of the Ampere Hours that are consumed disabled?

HVD has nothing to do with Solar. It has everything to do with battery voltage and the load terminals of the controller. It is in no way relevant to the solar panels and does not impact power production.

If your BATTERY is achieving 39V, you have big problems. If your SOLAR PANEL voltage is reaching 39V, that's fine. Again, the 30V HVD value applies to the BATTERY voltage, not panels. Again, it is only for disconnecting the LOAD terminals of the SCC.

Gracias por su respuesta. Mi par de batería de gel de 150AH no ha subido de 24.5vad. En la noche (12 horas de oscuridad) baja a 23.1vad. La recarga de AH desde el Controlador está en 125AH y tarda 5 horas. Instalaré un medidor de consumo para apreciar mejor la capacidad de mis baterías. Por su experiencia, ¿125AH de recarga por 12 horas de consumo nocturno pueden sugerir que la vida restante de mis baterías es corta?

Gracias por su respuesta. Mi par de batería de gel de 150AH no ha subido de 24.5vad. En la noche (12 horas de oscuridad) baja a 23.1vad. La recarga de AH desde el Controlador está en 125AH y tarda 5 horas. Instalaré un medidor de consumo para apreciar mejor la capacidad de mis baterías. Por su experiencia, ¿125AH de recarga por 12 horas de consumo nocturno pueden sugerir que la vida restante de mis baterías es corta?
Thanks for your reply. My pair of 150AH gel batteries have not gone above 24.5vad. At night (12 hours of darkness) it drops to 23.1vad. AH recharging from the Controller is at 125AH and takes 5 hours. I will install a consumption meter to better appreciate the capacity of my batteries. From your experience, can 125AH of recharging for 12 hours of overnight consumption suggest that the remaining life of my batteries is short?

Your PV and solar conditions determine how much energy you can use per day.
Your battery capacity determines how long you can go between charging.

You are likely using more energy than you can collect from the solar panels.

2X GEL 12V 150Ah for 24V?

That's 2 * 12 * 150 = 3600Wh, 1800Wh usable (don't use more than 50% regularly)

300W panel perfectly oriented, clear skies and unshaded from sunrise to sunset should generate about 1500Wh/day (probably a little more since you're close to the equator).

So, it will take about 2.5 days of maximum charging to fully charge your batteries from empty. During this time, you must use NOTHING, or it will take longer to charge.

If you use more than 1500Wh/day, you will eat into your battery capacity until it is gone.

If you are not achieving about 28.0-28.4V/day for 2-4 hours, you are using too much energy for your PV.

Given the size of your battery, you should have 400-700W of solar for proper charging.

Back