diy solar

diy solar

Is it safe to have a 30a to 50a adapter connected with the Victron multi plus II?

saboken

I'm still working on a plan to install my Victron system in a Fifth wheel, my camper has 50a service hence the Multi plus II,. What just dawned on me is when I am off grid I will be running a Honda Inverter generator 3000w, I have a 30a to 50a adapter I need to use, how I think this works is it just connects the 2 120v legs together before it goes into the camper. Does the multi plus II have protection from the combined legs? Basically the 2 120v inputs on the Victron Inverter will be connected when I'm using the generator or plugged in to a campground that only has 20a or 30a service. As for how my system will be when done 600-800 Watts on the roof, 600-800 AH Lifepo batteries, Victron multi plus II, cerbo gx, all the shunts, Solar charger, probably going to run 24v so a 24v to 12v converter. Is there anything I need so when I'm connected to less than 50a and the legs are combined so I don't damage the Multi plus II? Or is it Smart enough to know what's happening? Sure I probably won't need the generator much in SoCal but when I head back to the Canadian border for summer the solar probably won't be enough.

The Multiplus II will handle 30a or 20a power just fine. The only thing you will need to do is go to the Cerbo and select the input amps 30 or 20 or 15 if you are at someone’s house.

I have an MP II as well and have no issues if connected to 50 amp service (split phase) or 30/20/15 amp service (single phase). The MP II senses that automatically.

As Rocketman mentioned, be sure to lower the input current limit so you don't try to pull too much when connected to a 30/20/15 amp circuit.

1665679546726.png

What just dawned on me is when I am off grid I will be running a Honda Inverter generator 3000w, I have a 30a to 50a adapter I need to use, how I think this works is it just connects the 2 120v legs together before it goes into the camper.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the adapter connects the 2 120v legs together

From a 120v generator?
yes. I carry a 2500 westinghouse inverter generator, done it many times, 20a plug on generator, adapter from 15/20a to 50a. I even wired my 2200w inverter to feed both L1 & L2 from one 120v lead.

@MrM1 you do not get split phase 240v from any 30a to 50a adapter. It just connects L1 and L2 on the 50a side.

Back