diy solar

diy solar

Is my off grid whole house power idea sound? EG4 6500EX, EG4 LiFePOwer4, 550W Bluesun Bifacials

Stratoghost

I did some research and went with 4 EG4 6500EX all-in-ones, 8 LiFePOwer4 48V batteries in 2 racks and an array I had installed that holds 28 550W BlueSun Bifacial panels. I had a Master Electrician look at my initial plans before I bought anything. He said that since my house had 200A service, and that since the EG4 6500EX maximum amperage output was 50A, that I should get 4 of them ( I was originally only going to get 2.) I also tried to get him to assist me with the building and electrical permits. I looked into having a company make them for me and found that I could do it myself using free online diagramming tools. I created the wiring diagram, showed it to the Master Electrician and he told me to change a couple things. I did and submitted it to my local county Building code overlords. They requested some clarification, I edited the docs and they were happy. I got approved and got the building permits. I started ordering everything. The solar panels arrived a day before the array was to be constructed but 4 of the panels were destroyed my a pallet moving thing. Hence, 28 panels and 4 empty spots on my array. I received the batteries and the racks next. After spending a week slowly moving everything downstairs, I put it all together. I had to wait until October before the EG4 6500s arrived.

At this point, I was unable to get my Master Electrician to return. He was busy or did not get my texts. His initial idea was to wire 2 EG4 6500s to a one subpanel and the other 2 to a different one. His thought was to start out going off grid by moving the house wiring for the essential stuff (water pump, refrigerator, freezer, etc.) on one and everything else on the other whenever he could get to it. It occurred to me that if I wired all 4 to a single subpanel, I could wire it like a utility hook up, only backwards, so that the output could simply replace the utility input going into my main house electrical panel (therefore, I would not have to rewire the whole house into two subpanels) Is this a valid idea?
I tried discussing it with the Master Electrician that was working with me, but he ended up ghosting me. I tried other electricians in my area with pretty much the same outcome. [WARNING: CONSPIRACY THEORY: Its as if the electrical union mafia told its minions that they would be kneecapped if they worked with anyone with a homeowners permit.] Anyhow, I called the electrical inspector who said that I could make the changes and submit them for approval. I did and I haven't been told no. So I started wiring up everything. I rented a trencher and learned how not to use one, but I did get the trench dug. I dug the trench wide enough for two 2" conduits. I bought too much and thought it might be a good idea to run the positive down one and the negative down the other, thus eliminating any possible arcing between the two inside the conduit. Is this a good idea? I have not finished this as my wife really really wants a second opinion before i drill two 2" holes through the brick and concrete of our basement. Also, does it need conduit run across the wall in the basement, past the water softener and such? It has to go about 15 feet.

My wife has reminded me that I was supposed to ask a simple question about how many panels do I need to string in series for each inverter? I could do 7 per inverter, but I don't know if each of the 2 MPPTs need power and if they need to be balanced. If that is the case, I could go 4 in series for each MPPT on 2 inverters and 3 in series for each MPPT on the other 2. What would you suggest?

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_132321479_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220909_132321479_HDR.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20221109_161738590.jpg
    IMG_20221109_161738590.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20221111_160649038.jpg
    IMG_20221111_160649038.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20221116_122535263.jpg
    IMG_20221116_122535263.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221116_122653254.jpg
    IMG_20221116_122653254.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 28
I'm not so sure I would call the electrician a Master unless it a Master BS'er, he really didn't do you any favors.

Yes, the 4 inverters could be set up to feed directly into the 200A main panel so you don't have to install subpanels or rewire the branch breakers. However, you still will need a Line Side Tap to supply the 4 inverters AC inputs. That means the wires from the utility meter to the main breaker have to be removed and then replaced with a combiner box to take the utility power, divide it up 4 ways via proper breakers, and feed into the inverter(s) AC inputs. Then the inverter AC outputs feed the main panel via a combiner box with properly sized breakers.

You may not need 2 underground conduits but it depends on how many parallel strings there are going to be (at least 1 for each inverter, 4 total so 8 conductors plus an equipment ground) the distance, the size of the wire and any derating due to the number of conductors. There is some design and engineering that needs to be done before you continue trenching and installing conduit.

Based on the Voc of the 550W panels you could connect 1 series string of 7 panels to each of the 4 inverters. That would be 350Voc and 13A, well within the specifications of the 6500EX. You would only be using 1 of the MPPT inputs on each inverter.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. We are trying to use the system to go off grid. I had read somewhere, and I don't know if it was a specific model of all in one, that balanced input to both MPPTs was required. I have been unable to sit down and read the manual completely, but will have some time over Thanksgiving.

Back