diy solar

diy solar

Is there a nifty build calculator that considers distance, voltages, wire gauge etc

KnobCountry

Leg puller. Zap avoider.
I'd like to put an array about 90 meters from the house. I'm not sure on size other than it will probably be less than 2kw.

I would like to play with number of panels, distance vs wire gauge, estimate mppt needs etc to maximize production and limit costs.

Are there any nifty system build calculators that I haven't discovered that could help or do I need to open a few tabs and get working?

I'd like to put an array about 90 meters from the house. I'm not sure on size other than it will probably be less than 2kw.

I would like to play with number of panels, distance vs wire gauge, estimate mppt needs etc to maximize production and limit costs.

Are there any nifty system build calculators that I haven't discovered that could help or do I need to open a few tabs and get working?
I use JCalc, which works in metres and is based on the Au/NZ wiring codes, gives you a LOT of options, AC or DC wiring, voltage drop for the various size cables (in mm^2) with various mounting options (exterior, in conduit, in walls, under insulation, underground etc and works with any voltage you care to plug into it at any distance (or just the usual mains voltages found in most of the world)
1708569686324.png
Red is a bad choice, green is good
JCalc wire sizing calculator...

Often the higher voltages of series panels means that voltage loss is not as critical as long as voltage at the controller and/or inverter exceeds the minimum. Current carrying capacity should drive wire gauge.

Back