diy solar

diy solar

Is there an hybrid inverter that does all this?

lotsofsparks

I want an hybrid inverter that can for example supply a 2000W load If I'm only getting 1000W from a solar array by combining it with 1000W from the grid. but if conditions change from getting 1000W to now 3000W from the solar array I want it to adaptively start using 2000W for the load and use the remaining 1000W to charge a battery bank.
I would also like to be able to supplement the solar array power with battery power at times as well.
The main goal is to never give back to the grid and only taking from it to supplement the array power short fall when I need to.
I also might want to go completely off grid one day and would also like the inverter to be rated at 5-6 kW.
thanks in advance.

Have a look at the Sunsynk range - lots of youtube videos to watch and see if it does what you want. ive also found the support app is very useful aswell !

I want an hybrid inverter that can for example supply a 2000W load If I'm only getting 1000W from a solar array by combining it with 1000W from the grid. but if conditions change from getting 1000W to now 3000W from the solar array I want it to adaptively start using 2000W for the load and use the remaining 1000W to charge a battery bank.
Pretty much all hybrid inverters do that.

I would also like to be able to supplement the solar array power with battery power at times as well.
Same

The main goal is to never give back to the grid and only taking from it to supplement the array power short fall when I need to.
I also might want to go completely off grid one day and would also like the inverter to be rated at 5-6 kW.
thanks in advance.

No issues, that's what a hybrid inverter is for.

You have several choices to make:

1) High voltage battery or low voltage battery (48V)

High voltage is more efficient. But it is proprietary, each inverter brand is married to a battery brand so you have to cross fingers that customer support will be available during the life of both components, it also means more expensive. Some countries also impose special safety requirements (ie, more expensive installation) because a >200V DC battery with huge output current capability is not something you want to have any chance of getting zapped by.

48V has lower efficiency (about 10% energy loss in both directions) but there are tons of compatible battery options, voltage is safer, less safety precautions, cheaper. If your inverter or battery dies in 10 years you WILL find a new one compatible with the rest of your system, because 48V is like Ethernet, lol.

2) Injection or pass through

These inverters have two AC ports: grid and backup. Some have three: grid, generator, and backup.

If you want to be able to use a generator to charge your batteries in case of blackout, not all inverters support it (Deye does).

Most inverters use injection: it measures power drawn by the house from the grid and injects enough power to compensate it. Power for the whole house does not go through the inverter, which means the inverter does not need to be sized for the whole house. Only essential loads are connected to the backup output, which stays powered in case of blackout. Thus you have to rewire some loads and make a secondary "backup" panel.

Some inverters use pass through: you have to pass the power for the whole house through the inverter, it will backup the whole house, and it will draw as little power as it can from the grid. In this case the inverter has to be rated for the power used by the whole house, which is more expensive.

Backing up the whole house is only realistic if you have a huge installation. It is wiser to just backup essential loads, that way your freezer will still work and your battery won't be drained by all the non-essential stuff.

3) Idle power use

If you intend to go offgrid, mind the idle power use of the inverter. Some are pretty high.

If you go with 48V and injection you'll end up with the usual suspects list: Victron, Solis, Deye (Sunsynk, Solark), SOFAR, etc

This is a question about combining PV and grid to output at same time to loads and then using any excess PV to charge battery while still powering loads.

My question centers around needing a hybrid inverter that will power loads from battery, say when battery SOC is 30% or more and then seamlessly blend in grid power to supply the loads and prevent battery SOC from dropping say below 20%.

Some inverters use battery to a set SOC or Volt level, then perform a mechanical electronic switch to all grid to supply power to the loads. There is no in between blending of the 2 sources to the load. In some cases this "switching on SOC" does not work well and blackouts can occur. This is happening to me.

Any advice on an inverter that can do this: charge batteries from PV, run loads from PV, run loads from grid while also charging batteries from grid and lastly combine output of batteries and grid into a single larger output. For example, at nighttime when there is no PV, if I have a 12k inverter with a grid input limited to 8.6kW input and my load is 10kW, the output would be 8.6 kW from grid and 1.4 kW from batteries at the same time.
Also, if my PV is zero at night, my grid input is 8.6 kW and my load is 6.0 kW, I want to be able to use the remaining 2.4 kW to charge batteries up to specified SOC.

Which inverter can do this seamlessly?

Pretty much any hybrid you don't get on aliexpress will do that: deye and its other brands, solis, fronius, victron, sofar, etc

What have you got?

> if I have a 12k inverter with a grid input limited to 8.6kW input and my load is 10kW, the output would be 8.6 kW from grid and 1.4 kW from batteries at the same time.

Note if you do not wire all your loads on the backup output, but on the grid side, a 2kW inverter could do that. It's only if you wire everything on the backup side and it all has to go through the inverter at all times that you need an inverter rated for the full power.

For example, I have a 6kW solis, so when the house uses more than 6kW, the inverter will inject its maximum capacity into the grid, which is immediately consumed by the loads and not registered by the meter, and the rest of the power comes from the grid.

Some inverters are faster than others at adjusting their injection (Solis takes 1-2 seconds) so if you switch on a 10kW load, there will be 10kW pulled from the grid for a few seconds until the inverter catches up and injects power. This will not trip your breaker, as breakers are designed to allow reasonable short term overloads, so people can start electric motors like air conditioning.

Some inverters use battery to a set SOC or Volt level, then perform a mechanical electronic switch to all grid to supply power to the loads. There is no in between blending of the 2 sources to the load. In some cases this "switching on SOC" does not work well and blackouts can occur. This is happening to me.

What inverter are you using. My sol-ark 15k does it seemlessly - switching from battery back to grid.

Any advice on an inverter that can do this: charge batteries from PV, run loads from PV, run loads from grid while also charging batteries from grid and lastly combine output of batteries and grid into a single larger output. For example, at nighttime when there is no PV, if I have a 12k inverter with a grid input limited to 8.6kW input and my load is 10kW, the output would be 8.6 kW from grid and 1.4 kW from batteries at the same time.
Also, if my PV is zero at night, my grid input is 8.6 kW and my load is 6.0 kW, I want to be able to use the remaining 2.4 kW to charge batteries up to specified SOC.

Sol-Ark and EG4 18kpv have "grid support" feature. You specify the max draw from the Grid (8.6 kW), and it will limit use from the grid. Specify 8.6kW charging of the batteries, and it will take all it can (up to grid input limit) to charge batteries and provide load. If your load exceeds 8.6kW during the day, it will supplement from Battery and PV to provide power to the Load.

Back