diy solar

diy solar

Is there any truth to non net metering, beaing charged?

Aliask

There is a video on YouTube that states back fed power through a smart meter for non net metering customers are charged for the power beaing put back on the grid?
Just wondering if there is any truth to this?

Installer of my solar array did tell me not to turn on the inverter until the new utility meter with net metering is installed due to this exact reason, as any current flowing through the old meter will be counted as being consumed regardless of its direction.

I am on DTE in Michigan and back feeding a non net meter house does cause you to be charged in both directions.

In the old days people would flip the meter upside down at night or when they knew the power company wasn't watching to make the meter run backward and cheat the system.

DTE does come out right away if they detect power going backward when it isn't supposed to....They came right out when I was testing my system.

Interesting!
I was with great lakes energy a few years back and they did not care if you back fed the grid.
New house with consumers energy I'm going to assume they are probably going to do the same as dte.

Interesting!
I was with great lakes energy a few years back and they did not care if you back fed the grid.
New house with consumers energy I'm going to assume they are probably going to do the same as dte.
Mechanical meters dont call the utility out when pulled or back-fed. We used to turn it off and let the customer do what they will, which is play with it for the neighbors to watche the thing smoking in reverse! I zip tie it off and let the customer know that they will likely be charged for the backfed power, then they don play so much even though its only pennies.

The agreement allows our function testing, but not full out unattended operation unless its part of the "function testing" !

The smart meters require a firmware upload or replacement to operate (meter) bi-directionally.

NOT all power systems are the same or use the same equipment. There ARE places that have service fees related to Grid Connected FEED IN systems while others do not... It really is a dog's breakfast and varies a lot.... Even within the USA every state has it's own variations and ideas related to fee structured and how they bill things, some should be considered CRIMINAL in how they rig things against Renewable Energy in favour of pollution generation.

I am on DTE in Michigan and back feeding a non net meter house does cause you to be charged in both directions.

In the old days people would flip the meter upside down at night or when they knew the power company wasn't watching to make the meter run backward and cheat the system.

DTE does come out right away if they detect power going backward when it isn't supposed to....They came right out when I was testing my system.

What did DTE say/do about accidental back feeding?

We had already been approved for net metering at the time so they looked into it and the nice lady that came out rushed and got the meter....I don't think any department in DTE talks to the other from what I have seen. There are some facebook pages for Michigan that go into depth about the problems with DTE that people have. I do think it is against the law in Michigan to back feed the grid. See MPSC orders about this.

We had already been approved for net metering at the time so they looked into it and the nice lady that came out rushed and got the meter....I don't think any department in DTE talks to the other from what I have seen. There are some facebook pages for Michigan that go into depth about the problems with DTE that people have. I do think it is against the law in Michigan to back feed the grid. See MPSC orders about this.
id try to find the language in the net metering agreement form. If you dont have an agreement it it trespass.

diy solar

diy solar
Back