diy solar

diy solar

Net-metering with FPL electric company in Northeast Florida

z_zk_z

A question for anyone who got Net-metering with the FPL electric company in Saint Augustine (South of Jacksonville), Northeast Florida; Can you please look at your electric bill and tell me the “base charge” on your electric bill? Is it $25/month or $50, etc.? I don’t use much electricity and I have excess to sell back to the grid. I want to know, if it is worth going through all the permitting steps in order to sell back to the grid (Net-metering). Thanks in advance for your reply…

PS. I see the following paragraph on FPL web site but I don’t know if that applies to the Net-metering:
The projected bill does not reflect the minimum base bill charge that’s now in effect for residential customers whose monthly base electric service costs fall below $25.

Most Florida electric providers have a minimum usage bill, for FPL it is $25, Duke is $30 ( plus taxes )

Yes they apply to net metering tiers and for me most months I am paying the fee even though my net usage is zero and the annual credits are increasing.

The reasoning for this the utilities have to maintain the grid network so all customers pay for the base amount of energy regardless if it is used ( monthly )

Most Florida electric providers have a minimum usage bill, for FPL it is $25, Duke is $30 ( plus taxes )

Yes they apply to net metering tiers and for me most months I am paying the fee even though my net usage is zero and the annual credits are increasing.

The reasoning for this the utilities have to maintain the grid network so all customers pay for the base amount of energy regardless if it is used ( monthly )
Thanks, you said "annual credits are increasing"., Do the credits ever expire or just carried over to the following year???

Thanks, you said "annual credits are increasing"., Do the credits ever expire or just carried over to the following year???

The account once a year pays out wholesale value with Duke Energy and resets to zero on any excess from net-meter for the 12 billing cycles.

Still very generous compared to many other large states but I would not count on this lasting forever.

Energy United is $45 a month just to have the power. No usage.

Back