diy solar

diy solar

Net metering multiple properties?

justinm001

Solar Addict
I was told by someone that they have solar at one property which they have a 2nd house with the same utility and it offsets this property's bill. I've tried to search but haven't heard of this before. Is this normal for net metering?

I'm planning an install in WV with AEP (Appalachian Power) and have 2 homes down the street from eachother there, both with huge electric bills. I also rent 2 offices with AEP Ohio that has massive electric bills. Anyone know if its possible for me to install a large array at 1 of my WV houses then have the energy offset the other 3 bills? This could save me thousands a month.

You need to look up your local tariffs as they are specific to every utility. Some rare utilities have programs that would allow you yo share the benefits, but most do not. In some areas "community solar" is allowed where various customers can sign up for a large community solar project and get the benefits from a large installation. For the vast majority of users any sharing has be behind the utility meter on adjacent properties. Years ago I worked on large renewable plant that could sell power to the textile mill next door as long as the cable did not go over public property, since it was not going on the grid, it was lower cost power as a utility could not add transmission and distribution charges.

Around here it’s called group net metering.

Kinda a handy thing for municipalities that own landfills or waste water plants that have a ton of land, cover it with panels then offset the entire towns electric bill.

Back