diy solar

diy solar

Load Study for Net Metering

JDOhio

Greetings!

I installed an array and submitted an application for net metering in Ohio. After some back and forth, the utility company suggested I complete a load study before they install the meter (they also suggested that I should have done this before the installation).
The installation is on new construction so I can't measure my load. My electrician has no experience in executing a load study. I have a background in electrical engineering so my approach is to estimate usage of all the appliances, estimate their annual usage, and present an estimated annual kWh.

Are there other things that should be in a load study?

Thanks,
Joe

Make sure you account for base load which operates 24/7. Cable or fiber modem, router, computer equipment, refrigerators, freezers, transformers in HVAC equipment, pool, landscape lighting controllers, night lights & security lights. For example our minimum usage is about 500W, it adds up.

PG&E has us go by previous bills or square footage if there isn't a one-year history. We also propose added loads.
I did so for NEM 2.0 reservation (approved) and service upgrade - they clarified that no new loads yet, approved 200A panel, told me to contact them before adding loads.

20 years ago for CEC rebate, I had to submit one electric bill. I ran my pool pump 24/7 for one billing period.

Look at their pages to see how annual or other consumption relates to allowed PV array size.

1) Decide what answer you want.
2) List equipment which would draw wattage supporting that answer.

Annual usage is one thing, but peak and continuous is another. It takes hours for electrical distribution equipment to heat up.

If you will have backup system, you care about power by month and by day, not just annual. And if there are time of use rates, you will care about dollar value of power not just kWh. So you might load your design with extra things (Kiln? Freeze dryer?) to justify enough panels to zero your bill.

Thank you both for your support, suggestions, and recommendations!

I walked through my house looking for things that are always on and added them to my list (I can't believe I forgot the water heater - it's gas but it has an electric fan for exhaust). I also wanted to add that our new house is larger than our existing house.

My list is supporting what I need for net metering but I'll continue to gut check validity of my estimates. When It's done, would you recommend I submit my estimated usage for the net metering application?

Joe

Back