diy solar

diy solar

Electric company has it figured out

Let's see if I can even figure it out.

Delivery charge:

View attachment 201444

Generation charge:

View attachment 201445

I think the Generation Credit from PG&E is just slightly less than generation Net Charges (before tax) from Ava, so per kWh is approximately $0.52566 + 7.5% + (7.5% tax on 0.15614) = $0.577/kWh.

Just shy of $0.60/kWh on 2nd tier for Oakland (no PV).

View attachment 201446

$0.53002 on-peak + 5% = $0.557/kWh

Couple cents less for on-peak net metering San Jose.
I think I would pack my car and leave. How much is gas again? California Exit Tax? Sorry dude, you are screwed.

I would support both a 12 month rolling demand charge and a standby charge.

Agreed, some charge is appropriate for "foul weather" customers (not a "fair weather friend") who usually generate their own PV power, yet rely on the grid sometimes. Maybe not precisely "demand" as as been implemented, rather weighted according to when utility has difficulty meeting demand.

Laws and sausages, if there isn't pushback the utility will get rates created that aren't reasonable.

So far, they have enough generation for night time, so backfeeding PV during the day and drawing from grid at night can be beneficial. What is needed is to shift more loads away from early evening, the Duck's Head, and to early Afternoon. EV charging at would be a good thing, but requires charging stations, grid capacity at those locations, and suitable pricing.

I think I would pack my car and leave. How much is gas again? California Exit Tax? Sorry dude, you are screwed.
There's many reasons that Cali had lost a ton of population (at least legal population anyway).i just hope the people who left it don't take their bad ideas with them and turn other states into the same crap they complained about and left behind.

"The amount of the California exit tax is 0.4% of an individuals’ net worth over $30,000,000 in a tax year, no matter where it’s located—within CA, other states within the US, or overseas. This amount is halved to $15,000,000 if a married taxpayer files a separate return to their spouse.

The one caveat is that there is no California exit tax on real estate (but if the real estate is within state lines, it would still be taxed under California Revenue and Tax Code § 17591). "

The frog isn't being boiled. Yet.

I may like to think of myself as lower rich class, but I'm no where near that figure yet.
By the time I do get disgusted and leave, it will have lowered to the point of entrapping me.

Yes, various prices are absurd here (including, when you buy a Big Mac, the cost includes $20/hour for the burger flipper.)
But income, for those of us with the good jobs, would seem excessive from your perspective. It does let us pay the costs here and live comfortably. With nice weather. If we decided to join you, we'd be competing for jobs at the pay you're accustomed to. Can you afford living and what you reasonably want?

Bigger deal is deterioration of society here, at least in some cities or neighborhoods. Others are still nice.

"The amount of the California exit tax is 0.4% of an individuals’ net worth over $30,000,000 in a tax year, no matter where it’s located—within CA, other states within the US, or overseas. This amount is halved to $15,000,000 if a married taxpayer files a separate return to their spouse.

The one caveat is that there is no California exit tax on real estate (but if the real estate is within state lines, it would still be taxed under California Revenue and Tax Code § 17591). "

The frog isn't being boiled. Yet.

I may like to think of myself as lower rich class, but I'm no where near that figure yet.
By the time I do get disgusted and leave, it will have lowered to the point of entrapping me.

Yes, various prices are absurd here (including, when you buy a Big Mac, the cost includes $20/hour for the burger flipper.)
But income, for those of us with the good jobs, would seem excessive from your perspective. It does let us pay the costs here and live comfortably. With nice weather. If we decided to join you, we'd be competing for jobs at the pay you're accustomed to. Can you afford living and what you reasonably want?

Bigger deal is deterioration of society here, at least in some cities or neighborhoods. Others are still nice.
I would come out for a visit but I think my 1998 diesel truck, which was built with no computer and no emissions and is legal to drive in 49 states, would get me thrown in jail when I crossed the state line.

Power bills have been playing pretend, to everybody's detriment.

It's a service that really costs like half to deliver and half to generate. More or less depending on the area.

But, back in the day when it was the only option we figured hey, the average guy all uses about the same amount of power, let's just bury the infrastructure cost in the kwh pricing that's easy for people to understand.

It has this built in equity mechanism too. The rich guy wants to use lot of power, so he pays more towards the distribution, an outsized share. And if someone's struggling, they can cut back and they'll end up paying an undersized share. Accidental, hidden, income based pricing.

Now, when the richer people find this thing called self generation, the illusion breaks. The power company has to admit the kwh's weren't actually worth the price they were charging, so losing sales is breaking the budget, and then they have two choices. Stick with the broken model and jack up rates on the remaining poor and middle class customers to make up for the attrition, or come clean and redesign the pricing scheme so that fixed costs are billed in fixed fees and kwh's are realistically valued at their incremental cost.

When the pricing is converted to reflect reality, the real value of solar is revealed to be a lot less than it seemed before. What value it does have, can be way more efficiently achieved at utility scale.
I hate that you are correct 😤

Back