diy solar

diy solar

Electric company not going to be happy :)

rhino

Solar Wizard
Finally! and at worst time of year for trying to do this. The little still showing up is because I still have some house wiring that is trickier to move over to new panel. It looks like they shared a neutral for what should have been two separate circuits. My electric co-op is also very anti-renewable anything since they get all their power from coal burning power plant and want to keep it that way.

Edit: graph is from the electric company website so showing what I will be billed for.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 5.34.02 PM.png

Nice!

I've got a different plan to piss them off, probably not as effective ?
I mostly gave them megawatt hours of power they didn't want.
I could probably just barely go negative year round, but we run electric heat just to use up some of the electric credits. Turns out electric is more efficient at heating than natural gas when you don't have to pay for it! ?

Screenshot_20240107-194605.png

Finally! and at worst time of year for trying to do this. The little still showing up is because I still have some house wiring that is trickier to move over to new panel. It looks like they shared a neutral for what should have been two separate circuits. My electric co-op is also very anti-renewable anything since they get all their power from coal burning power plant and want to keep it that way.

Edit: graph is from the electric company website so showing what I will be billed for.

View attachment 187499
I don’t think they care what fuel they use.
It’s the $ they lose.

My electric co-op is also very anti-renewable anything since they get all their power from coal burning power plant and want to keep it that way.
I assume the lead coal power engineer is now on the board of directors.

....let think negatively here.
Normally power company will send people to inspect your meter if they detected sudden drop in consumption......worst case, they will accuse you from stealing electricity.

....let think negatively here.
Normally power company will send people to inspect your meter if they detected sudden drop in consumption......worst case, they will accuse you from stealing electricity.
No, in Minnesota they will require him to share with the “marginalized” populous/illegal immigrants. Equity. This will help rhino be more inclusive and give him a better sense of belonging.

View attachment 187499
this is awesome!!!

And just got bill for last month where they stated they will be raising the base monthly fee from $37 to $43 even if you use no power. On top of that they say the "smart meter" system they were using is no longer being supported so they will spend another $1.2M replacing all of them. If that wasn't enough they are happy the power plant where they get their power from (Minnkota Power) will be implementing a $350M government funded "carbon capture" project near the coal power plant.

No, in Minnesota they will require him to share with the “marginalized” populous/illegal immigrants. Equity. This will help rhino be more inclusive and give him a better sense of belonging.
Ten thumbs (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

I live just across the border, it's like another country up there. :ROFLMAO:

And just got bill for last month where they stated they will be raising the base monthly fee from $37 to $43 even if you use no power.

MI Energy did that last year, raised the daily base rate from about $1.10 to about $1.70. Just criminal for people on fixed income that use little Kwh per day. One person told me his cost per Kwh will end up over $1.00 due to the base charge increase. Newer house, widower, lives by himself, goes to bed at dark and never has any big loads.

On top of that they say the "smart meter" system they were using is no longer being supported so they will spend another $1.2M replacing all of them.

Probably installing meters with surveillance cameras for rogue solar operators. :ROFLMAO:

If that wasn't enough they are happy the power plant where they get their power from (Minnkota Power) will be implementing a $350M government funded "carbon capture" project near the coal power plant.
Spend a big amount of money on carbon capture, wait until the "grant" money runs out, then close the coal power plant.

Prairie Island is up for decommision in the 2030's, isn't it? I know it is shut down until sometime this month as the ice on Lake Pepin might actually be good this year. And the Monticello plant will be in 2030's too.

Pennsylvania still has a very good net metering program and my monthly connection fee is $10.38.

well done. love to see graphs like that

and I will share mine. Winters are still tough, last year LOTs of snow but still produced 55% of our power in dec-feb.
below is my light company chart for 3 years

Sunny this winter so far, but snow is coming tomorrow

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 14-09-07 Heber Light & Power SmartHub - Usage Explorer.png

Actually, the electric company WANTS you to do solar and sell it to them. Their other option is to build a new power plant. That is not an option they want. It is much cheaper for you to build the power plant and sell them electricity. Yet, IDK why they make selling solar power so difficult, they are greedy and trying to take all they can take and show no gratitude.

We still have a few coal-fired power plants in Louisiana, and last year the biggest one announced they want to build a $900 million carbon capture facility next to the coal plant. It seems maybe they could build a really big solar farm for that money?

2 of the other cola plants in Louisiana are scheduled to close in a few years because they can no longer meet federal regulations for storing coal ash. Another Louisiana coal fired power plant that was recently closed is getting a solar farm built on that land.

Actually, the electric company WANTS you to do solar and sell it to them. Their other option is to build a new power plant. That is not an option they want. It is much cheaper for you to build the power plant and sell them electricity. Yet, IDK why they make selling solar power so difficult, they are greedy and trying to take all they can take and show no gratitude.
Their greediness gets rewarded so they get greedier

I have been cutting way back on power usage I figured out that if I add up just the KWH used it was around $81. My bill is around $220 all that was fees, and extra tax added on. One fee they can't even explain what $50 something was called adjusters. Not only solar users hurting them also energy efficiency. The removal of incandescent bulbs from the market has an effect overall when you add up thousands of those bulbs no longer being installed. Would be surprised I still find them in my house in a fixture we don't use all that much I thought had been replaced with an LED. After I started to get interested in solar I find myself counting every watt I use.

It won’t be long and I’m permanently moving. Besides shoveling snow, I will also miss the call to prayer blasted over loudspeakers five times a day from Minneapolis though…
I heard Rochester isn't much better, just west of Mayo there is about a 5 block area with a "constable" instead of police. Convenience stores have bulletproof glass now.

A real shame, was a nice town with money flowing from Mayo, St Mary's and Methodist. Was once voted:

2017​

#1 ‘Top 100 Best Places to Live' 2017 + 2016 - Livability.com, a national website that ranks quality of life amenities of America's small and mid-sized cities.

It isn't anymore in that area.

Actually, the electric company WANTS you to do solar and sell it to them.

Sell to them at wholesale. Meanwhile you paid your hard earned money for their cheap generation.

Their other option is to build a new power plant. That is not an option they want.

They will have to supply power somehow for the government surveillance in every town/city. More cameras on streetlights, more data processing, more Stingray, more of everything Big Brother. That power has to come from somewhere.

It is much cheaper for you to build the power plant and sell them electricity. Yet, IDK why they make selling solar power so difficult, they are greedy and trying to take all they can take and show no gratitude.
Ye will eat ze bugs while I eat ze steak.

Back