diy solar

diy solar

Permanently removing utility power

rhino

Solar Wizard
Just thought I'd document someone removing utility company from their place that has it already and will go completely off grid. I'm at the end of the line on this particular spur of utility lines. A large part of this is not directly related to financial aspect of this but environmental. Some of the reasons:
  1. Power is coming from a coal burning power plant
  2. Substantial amount of trees would have to start being cut/cleared that have grown up over the years near the power lines to continue using power in the near future. I've managed to keep them from clearing what is there now only by standing out there in middle of winter making sure they didn't when they were doing the lines going to my property on the neighbors property. The clearing wouldn't be acceptable and would look like crap.
  3. Have to worry about them spraying herbicide which is what they do in most places but you have to put up signs and call them to try and make sure whatever contractor they get to do that doesn't spray lines on your place.
  4. Utility company is very anti-renewable and simply doesn't seem to get it. Have constant articles in their newsletter how evil solar is and how great carbon sequestering is.
  5. Have now been fully off grid (besides few light bulbs in a barn) since beginning of year to verify can survive. Only external input is firewood which is used for heat. Everything else electric including water heater.

I called few minutes ago to inquire about procedure to remove everything. I was also curious what it would cost to reconnect. They have a lot of "penalties" to reconnect even if you just wanted the meter removed to avoid the $46/month charge.
To reconnect the fees are:
  1. Processing fee $26.72
  2. Reconnect fee $53.43
  3. 12 months of facility charges $46 * 12 = $552
These fees would apply if you want to reconnect anytime within 2 years of disconnecting. So you can see why people who are only around for maybe even just 1 month out of the year would not disconnect (there is a lot of hunting/cabins/lake homes around). I would obviously have considerably more fees/charges if the utility poles are removed.

Am now deciding when to call to tell them to remove all of it.

If poles & wires serve your property only, can you have them clip one length of wire (or open a switch) so the line is dead, no fire risk and no need to trim? that could reduce the "considerably more" charge.

Good for you! Where I am right now independence from the grid is not possible. So we are preparing to go find someplace to buy land where it is possible.

Will they actually remove everything even the poles?

As far as I know once you grant them a easement (or a previous property owner did) for their line it is unlikely they will abandoned it especially if they anticipate it being used by a new property owner at some point. I can see them removing your meter but not sure you will get them to do more than that.

Will they actually remove everything even the poles?
Yes, they will remove the poles.
I can see them removing your meter but not sure you will get them to do more than that.
I have verified with them already they will remove everything, meter, lines, and poles all the way back to the line on the road. It would be 5 or 6 poles removed. They said they can leave the pole with the meter on it since most people have stuff attached to it.

If poles & wires serve your property only, can you have them clip one length of wire (or open a switch) so the line is dead, no fire risk and no need to trim? that could reduce the "considerably more" charge.
I'm not sure I want anything of theirs left but understand what you are saying. The lines themselves are an eyesore seeing them run behind the solar panels ;)

Here in Oregon when I had the grid disconnected the power company just came out and removed the meter. They put a clear plastic cover on the meter box but did not remove the pole in my yard because it carries power to my neighbor's house.

Have now been fully off grid (besides few light bulbs in a barn) since beginning of year to verify can survive.
That is a pretty short trial run for such a drastic change.
I have been off grid (never was connected) for 6 years now. No propane or firewood and 5-15 gallons of fuel for generators annually. It isn't easy. I would probably need to throw another $20k at my system to be relaxed with my power consumption. Perhaps you are already there with yours.

Here in Central WI when I cut the grid.....
Called and they remotely disconnected within a day.
If I do not call for reconnect in a year, they will come take my meter.
If I call within the first year, I must pay all back meter charges per month, starting from disconnect date (approx. $30 per month).
If after the first year, I think there is just a reconnect fee of around $75.
I could have them remove everything from my property but that would be stupid because you can never tell the future.

What if a major storm or tornado takes out your panels? How long can you run on generator or backup power?

What if a major storm or tornado takes out your panels? How long can you run on generator or backup power?
I do have a pallet of 250W panels stored away. But I'm not clear how this would be different than any other person who is truly off-grid and understands what that means. What are the critical things that are needed energy related?
  1. potentially heating/cooling
  2. food
  3. water
For #1 and #2 in the winter we do only rely on a wood stove for both heating and cooking. Used to have propane and a forced air heater 15+ years ago but got rid of the tank back then as well. For #3 have a 120V grundfos well pump which I put a regular 120V AC plug on end and plug into an outlet. If main system goes down could always plug it into a 3000W solar generator that I have.

If a tree falls on the line, does the utility send you a personal bill for the clean up and reconnect?
No.

Can i ask why they are so far apart?
They can be rotated as well as tilted and because of shading especially during summer I could spread out power generation over wider part of day. The one closest by the dog can get sunlight much longer then the one in back but it is more exposed to the wind.

Those two array are using "high wind" version (100mph) of TPM top of pole mount. Last I checked they were now called DPW. Another array I have uses RC Fab (130mph rated) which is superior to the TPM ones.

Tomorrow is the day of disconnection!
It was a great day for me. My only stress is long stretches of cloudy days in the winter, and the thought of equipment failure. I am lucky enough to have 2 full systems, that can me swapped around on loads easily with transfer switches, and gen back up, and probably a prius wired in dc also. I may be shopping for a Ford Lightning also, but not sure on that yet.

Remember to have backups for your backups.

Back