diy solar

diy solar

Utility jerking me around.

TheFlumph

Did you ever receive a copy of the metering contract?

In Minnesota (Xcel), a production meter and a bi-directional meter are required for back feeding the grid. My production meter is only used to perform calculations on how much I will be paid each year, just for production. Currently I get $0.08 kWh for first ten years of production, about $1,200 a year. I have true 1 to 1 net metering, every month I produce more than what I use I get another check at current rates. The only catch is, I can not produce more than 120% of my previous 12 months combined of power used.

If you will get $0.20 kWh, then definitely jump through some hoops. Sounds like you would be leaving lots of money on the table if you don't. I say get that contract and read it closely. Contract should tell you what specific rules/codes you must follow. I doubt it says you are required to have two inverters.

Not an electrician, but wouldn't a production meter just be placed between the A/C output of inverter and the loads it will be feeding. Parallel to the incoming grid feed. Once all loads are satisfied, all excess production is pushed to the grid.

I realize you are in a different state, but if like Minnesota, your payback period will be short. So having a real contract in your hands to review will help you make a decision on what is best for you. Emails sent to you without proper references is not always helpful. The true rules are written down someplace.
2nd that true rules comment Bureaucrats will say whatever makes them look good later down the road, always get everything in writing. Then scan a copy and email it to yourself as backup.

Curious. I’m northeast kingdom. How much did they want to tariff you for the transformer?

There is a stream ~16’ wide that is my property line on that side. It was frozen solid a few weeks ago. With the warm weather it took three days for the ice to melt out where the rocks started showing; the meltoff was running over the top of the ice.
The northeast can be challenging.
Anyplace that calls themselves the northeast kingdom while not posting a laughing emoji is probably fucked (no offense, sounds like a challenge)

No. It was frozen solid.
It’s a runoff stream-unless it rains it typically turns to a trickle in summer at one end of my small parcel and disappears into the stony moraine before it gets to the SE boundary stake. So it’s not a spring-fed or pond-source waterway.

I watched it slowly melt away around the rocks, the running water eventually channeling down to the streambed. It did not appear frozen solid, it was frozen solid.
A day later it had undercut the ice as the volume running from above increased.

It slowly gained height over the winter. Typically three feet below the banks, on some warmer days the meltoff ran over the ice. This froze overnight as the temperature dropped, to recently layering several feet thick and less than a foot below the bank.

Not here, but elsewhere nearby I have seen waterlines freeze that are buried over eight feet deep. Short days, weeks of clouds, and cold temperatures don’t do water any better than solar.
Oh well you misrepresented that as a stream. What you just described wouldn’t work for hydro anyways, it would be a waste of money.

It was about $1800 for a 15kva
Ya. That’s a lot anyway. So my utility wanting $3500 just for that hurt my feelings LOL
he is talking about a creek not a stream. huge difference.
in New England creek and stream are interchangeable terms fwiw
No difference. State calls it a brook.
Well regional labels can be confusing, in this area in WNC the locals call them “branches” and a “creek” is 20ft wide fast flowing trout river lol.
Exactly.
misrepresented
Nope
Anyplace that calls themselves the northeast kingdom while not posting a laughing emoji is probably fucked
That is the regional moniker for ~2000 square miles of northeastern Vermont. Dialectal awareness is useful. It’s a mostly rural, wild place here. “The Northeast Kingdom (also, locally, "The Kingdom"and abbreviated NEK) is the northeast corner of the U.S. state of Vermont, approximately comprising Essex, Orleans and Caledonia counties and with a population of 64,764 at the 2010 census. The term "Northeast Kingdom" is attributed to George D. Aiken, former Governor of Vermont and a U.S. senator, who first used the term in a 1949 speech.”

Sometimes what people assume is normal to their context and them concluding that there’s something broken with a region’s monikers that don’t fit their myopia really mystify me.

Ya. That’s a lot anyway. So my utility wanting $3500 just for that hurt my feelings LOL

Exactly.

Nope

That is the regional moniker for ~2000 square miles of northeastern Vermont. Dialectal awareness is useful. It’s a mostly rural, wild place here. “The Northeast Kingdom (also, locally, "The Kingdom"and abbreviated NEK) is the northeast corner of the U.S. state of Vermont, approximately comprising Essex, Orleans and Caledonia counties and with a population of 64,764 at the 2010 census. The term "Northeast Kingdom" is attributed to George D. Aiken, former Governor of Vermont and a U.S. senator, who first used the term in a 1949 speech.”

Sometimes what people assume is normal to their context and them concluding that there’s something broken with a region’s monikers that don’t fit their myopia really mystify me.
Well said on all accounts. I was scolded locally the other day for calling my brook a creek lol. "this isnt the south! its called a brook, not a creek!" I proceeded to call it a crik for the rest of the day.

sorry about that transformer price. I dont feel as bad now. Its not fun buying equipment you wont own.

Some of the best snow skiing in the east and in some seasons in the whole US is there at Jay Peak :)

I have no idea what you guys are upset about.

Exactly.

Nope

was not disrespecting, when i hear that term I think of some cold ass place up north that makes fuji look balmy. all this from a couple of books i read (fiction) that used that area as the backdrop for the story.

I have no idea what you guys are upset about.

yeah but that's commiefornia... what you expect?

It was about $1800 for a 15kva
I mean if something happened to the transformer bushing (sudden development of a hole from a high powered round) they utility will have to replace it.

Most utilities are reducing the stock numbers of xfrmrs and only stock a minimum size, 15kva or say 25kva

I mean if something happened to the transformer bushing (sudden development of a hole from a high powered round) they utility will have to replace it.

Most utilities are reducing the stock numbers of xfrmrs and only stock a minimum size, 15kva or say 25kva
lol. I cant even see my neighbors from where I am. Its possible that may look suspicious. Plus they already cashed my check.

Back