diy solar

diy solar

Is this normal solar output?

jsl10

New to solar and just fired up my new DIY solar system that consists of a Growatt 12,000W inverter, 16 440W panels arranged in two arrays PV1 and PV2 going to the inverter (each array is 2 parallel sets of 4 panels in series). Also using 5 EG4 batteries. This morning the system started gathering solar power around 7am and steadily grew until 8:20am where it abruptly leveled out at 2700W. It then stayed at that level as the sun continued to climb. I thought maybe it was only drawing that because all it was doing this morning was charging the battery bank. So I plugged in my plug-in hybrid to put a large load on the system. Everything works fine except the solar output stayed flat line. To me the solar power chart doesn't look natural to just hit a brick wall like that especially at less than half what the panels are rated for on a 100% sunny day with zero clouds. There is a slight bit of dust on the panels but wouldn't think that would make them hit an abrupt ceiling like this. Maybe me being new to solar is the problem! Thoughts? 1661532787491.png

Attachments

• Solar Energy Chart 01.JPG
    Solar Energy Chart 01.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
You might want to check your max charge current and max PV charge current settings.
Ok, I checked and I only see a max charge current and a max A/C charge current. I don't see a max PV charge current. The Max Charge Current is set to 50A (allowed is 0->180A). The Max A/C charge current is 30A (allowed is 0->30A). Right now I have the A/C feeding the inverter off. Would the 50A Max Charge Current limit what it draws from the PV array? It is interesting that 50A * 53V equals 2650 W (pretty much what I'm getting from the solar arrays). So would that be the limiting factor here?

Ok, I got it! Sorry for not being totally familiar with these settings. Tried increasing the Max Charge Current but it won't let me. Reading in the manual I guess this option is not available if Li is selected as battery type. So I can change this to USE (User-Defined) to change the Max Charge Current. Do you know if the inverter default values given for USE should be acceptable? I didn't have these battery settings with Li.

I do not know about this equipment or the max charge current being limited if lifepo
But that doesn;t make full sense to me.

What I would do is contact your vendor and ask the question. You bought from sig solar? Or...?

I do not know about this equipment or the max charge current being limited if lifepo
But that doesn;t make full sense to me.

What I would do is contact your vendor and ask the question. You bought from sig solar? Or...?
Yup, bought it from Signature Solar. I've already shot an email off to them. Hopefully will get a quick reply. At least I know what the issue obviously is. Just need now to clarify the proper inverter settings for my battery array so that the Max Charge Current setting becomes available. And I agree... it does seem dumb to not allow such a critical settings when Li battery type is set.

Ok, I got it! Sorry for not being totally familiar with these settings. Tried increasing the Max Charge Current but it won't let me. Reading in the manual I guess this option is not available if Li is selected as battery type. So I can change this to USE (User-Defined) to change the Max Charge Current. Do you know if the inverter default values given for USE should be acceptable? I didn't have these battery settings with Li.
You might need to call up whoever you bought the Growatt from and check to see if max charging current is a limit. Seems odd that you can not alter it downward at the very least.

Perhaps someone that has more familiarity with Growatts will chime in with a better answer.

Edit. I see you already are doing so.

You might need to call up whoever you bought the Growatt from and check to see if max charging current is a limit. Seems odd that you can not alter it downward at the very least.

Perhaps someone that has more familiarity with Growatts will chime in with a better answer.

Edit. I see you already are doing so.
Yup, already sent an email to Signature Solar to clarify these settings. Here is where the manual says it's not available with Li battery type. Funny, they say its default value is 80A but mine was set to 50A somehow. Also it makes reference to a "solar charging current" but I can't that settings which would be an obvious one for me to set!1661537730356.png

Default settings are what the presets are all about on most equipment; you need to assure you comply with the battery specs and guidelines for max charging current AND ESPECIALLY COMPLY WITH THE OTHER LIMITS OF THE BATTERY.
Running into the BMS's is not how to control the charging input in case that was not previously known.

Back