diy solar

diy solar

Is this simple/stupid stock RV converter/charger "good enough" for LFP?

PrivatePIlot

Hey all. We have a small RV that I have converted from a 100AH lead acid to a 280ah Lifepo4.

The trailer has a simply and mostly dumb Elixir ELX-30 converter/charger designed for lead acid, of course.

I have a small Lifepo4 specific charger that I've been using with the battery at home, but once it goes into the trailer the logistics of using that charger gets more difficult due to the tie-ins on the 12v and 120v systems with the existing converter/power station. And since we rent this camper quite often, "simple" is essential.

I'm wondering if the built in converter is "good enough" for average usage. As I understand it it'll do the job but won't ever get the LFE pack up to 100% SOC, but that's fine for most use case scenarios. When my wife and I are travelling and need 100% SOC for boondocking I have a DC-to-DC setup from our tow vehicle that can push >100a, so I can and will just charge that way instead. Or I can manually hookup the small Lifepo4 charger.

But for renters, most spend their entire rental on shore power anyways aside from a few hours towing here and there between campgrounds, so maximum ah isn't essential - simple "it just works" is essential.

Here's the relevant bits from the manual (linked below)

1680921154692.png

1680921186540.png

Thoughts?

I'm a big proponent of using what you have, but a constant voltage 13.5-13.6V unit is pretty marginal.

With extremely long charge times, you should get to a pretty high state of charge. Charging with a generator will break your wallet.

Thanks. Slow charging from this converter is fine - most renters run from campground to campground (and often stay for 2-5+ days on shore power anyways) so getting charged super fast isn't a high priority - just having it simple "plug and go" is. And renters aren't using the inverter and such so even if they never plugged in the camper would go weeks between even *needing* a charge.

For our own personal use, we never charge with a generator due to the DC to DC setup from our tow vehicle for when we're travelling and boondocking, so that doesn't come into play as ever being an issue.

Last edited:
Back