diy solar

diy solar

It's not a real project until...

Bob142

Build more, learn more.
Seems like every DIY project in any area of my life always has one of these moments:

Me: I just need to... (pushes, pulls, stretches, reaches at odd angle etc.)

My Project: Snaps, slips, stabs, slices some part of me

My Wife: You know you're bleeding, right?

Me: It's not an official project until there's blood!

What makes your project official?

Spending money on parts and then losing track of the project in the months that it takes for everything to arrive. “Hmm, wonder what project (in what country) that’s for, unless it’s for general stock (in which country?). I’ll just put it over here till I remember.”

My wife swears she brought me 4mm bolts, but will it take less time, effort, and resources to find them or reorder them?

Last edited:
Spending money on parts and then losing track of the project in the months that it takes for everything to arrive. “Hmm, wonder what project (in what country) that’s for, unless it’s for general stock (in which country?). I’ll just put it over here till I remember.”

My wife swears she brought me 4mm bolts, but will it take less time, effort, and resources to fibd them or reorder them?
The true measure of a project is the amount of orders/trips to the store........

The project day is not complete until something goes permanently wrong in a minor way that's not worth redoing.

PVC conduit: Last vertical slips farther into the fitting than as measured, lifting the whole 10 ft before the elbow an inch of the bottom of the trench. Oh well.

Running 290 feet of continuous 12 awg thhn for PV. After cutting have to make a 6" adjustment and pull backwards and this is the box with a burr that mars the nylon jacket on the wire. Oh well.

My wife swears she brought me 4mm bolts, but will it take less time, effort, and resources to fibd them or reorder them?
I can relate to that... I've just started using parts I bought years ago for solar projects that are definitely not why I bought them. I'll probably never remember.

Running 290 feet of continuous 12 awg thhn for PV. After cutting have to make a 6" adjustment and pull backwards and this is the box with a burr that mars the nylon jacket on the wire. Oh well.
Indeed, "Mostly THHN" has mostly the same temperature rating as THHN. 8*)

I've been meaning to drop this somewhere so might as well be here: I bought two kinds of outdoor boxes for this run. Name brand Bell boxes and Commercial Electric from Home Depot. It was the home depot one that had the burrs.

So I guess that's probably evidence for why electricians go to the supply house and not home depot.

Every job demands a blood sacrifice somewhere in the process…
Speaking of sacrifice: I also seem to always drop a fastener or washer into an irretrievable location. That triggers another trip to the hardware store since it’s always the last one I have.

It's not a real project until it consumes not all my waking hours but intrudes into my dreams. Rather disconcerting though after a night of working at the project only to wake up and have nothing new done. Not to mention that some of the solutions I dream up do not seem to work out.

Some of the stuff I do is just experimenting or for my own curiosity. It becomes a project when expenditures are more than just pocket change.

It is only tinkering until I need it completed before I can do something else- maybe it is consuming too much space in the shop, or having it finished would make my next thing to do simpler, or like right now- I'm tinkering on something like a motor and have one that is in service fail necessitating the need to upgrade from tinkering status.
Anyone by chance looking for a mercury outboard shaped boat anchor?!:LOL:

Every job demands a blood sacrifice somewhere in the process…
Speaking of sacrifice: I also seem to always drop a fastener or washer into an irretrievable location. That triggers another trip to the hardware store since it’s always the last one I have.
It's not a real project until it consumes not all my waking hours but intrudes into my dreams. Rather disconcerting though after a night of working at the project only to wake up and have nothing new done. Not to mention that some of the solutions I dream up do not seem to work out.

In order -

Blood sacrifice, ka-tink, and dreams....

the ka-tink is the sound the fastener or washer makes when it hits the irretrievable location.... this applies to builting a computer or any other thing that you can possibly drop a screw or washer

That is true, as well as the truth that every 20 minute job is just one broken or stripped screw away from a 3 day ordeal in hell.

Y'all have me cracking up.

As a true professional... i have NO IDEA what you are talking about...

Ya see, first you have to fill out the osha forms with workmans comp insurance...

Then, for it to be a true project, a visit from the osha investigation team is warranted...

Note to self... invent time travel, go back in time and find out who the hell installed the ballasts in the light without the screws, so when you open the cover to service the fixture, BOTH 30 POUND BALLASTS COME FLYING DOWN THE TRAY AT YOU, SMASHING THE T12 BULBS ON THE WAY TO YOUR FACE IN A MERCURY VAPOR CLOUD WITH LOOSE WIRE NUTS AND LIVE 277Volts...

Back