diy solar

diy solar

Jackery 500 and BIPAP/ CPAP REVIEW!

JettyDaddy

I bought a couple of Jackery 500's and wanted to let those that may be interested on how it performed. Now this is only using the DC plug on my BIPAP machine using the humidifier. I have to use the humidifier as the pressures are set at 18 which is high. Anyway using DC only the Jackery ran my machine for 18 hours and 12 minutes before it had to be recharged. This got it down to 1%. For me since I sleep an average of 4 to 6 hours daily it was more than adequate for a 3 day weekend camping trip. For those with less pressures and don't use the humidifier it may give you a few extra hours.

It may be worth spending the $89 for the 12V converter I got for my Resmed unit.

Thanks for the info. I have a Resmed Airsense 10 and have a J 500 on order for an upcoming camping trip. Great to have someone confirm my calculations that the 500 with work for me. Thanks again JettyD.

For future use of others, I purchased the KFD car charger DC adapter
(12VDC to 24VDC) on Amazon for $30.99, it does the same conversion as the $89 Resmed charger. I have tested it with my Airsense 10 with a 12 battery and it works fine.

I will update my results here in the future, as I can use the AS10 w/o humidifier and at a lower pressure.

Glad to hear it will work for you. With my machine it had about a 26 watt output at its highest. Mine is a BIPAP so it fluctuates and noticed my typo at its highest setting is 28. Regardless with you using without the humidifier it will definitely last longer. Both of my Jackeries averages the same amount of time before I had to recharge them which was a little over 18 hours. I am interested in the KFD car charger DC adapter thanks for the info.

Just FYI for anyone else interested, I used the Jackery this time with my BIPAP machine using the inverter. With my machine, using the humidifier set on 6 which is my setting and my pressure setting of a minimum of 4 and a max of 28 with a ramp time of 45 minutes the Jackery is drawing 10 watts alone from what I assume is the inverter only and up to 32 watts using the BIPAP. After using the BIPAP for a total of 5.25 hours the machine used 40% of its charge, which for me would account for 2 days of usage before having to recharge vs 3 days of using DC power as I sleep an average of 4 to 6 hours.

Another disadvantage I found for me that using AC power plug the fans turned on and off constantly every 5 to 10 minutes throughout the night which would wake me up on occasion and than I would fall asleep again. As I am a light sleeper these does not make for a restful night. So I still would recommend that anyone wanting to use a Jackery for camping or during a power outage to still consider buying a DC converter that is compatible with your CPAP or BIPAP machine.

Update.... tested the Jackery 500 with the Resmed Airsense 10. First some observations relative to power draw.
Using AC plug: AC on, AS10 off : J500 draws 11watts (inverter on)
AS 10 on, Humidity at level 5, Temp 80 f, = 28 - 32 w
AS 10 on, Hum at off, temp at off, = 8 - 12w

As previously mentioned, I purchased the KFD charger (DC 12 to 24VDC) on Amazon for about $31. The plug fits the AS 10 well.

Using KFD charger plugged into J 500 Car port
DC off ; J500 draws 0 watts
DC turned on, AS10 plugged in = 5w
Humidity at level 5, Temp 80 f, = 16 -18 w
Hum at off, temp at off, = 6 - 7 w
Note: All measurements taken at 4.0 to 6.0 pressures. Higher pressures, that tend to increase during the night, will increase wattage draw.

So, as predicted by others, the use of the AS 10 on DC, with humidity and heater turned off, should greatly increase usage time.
Also turning the DC output button off when the CPAP is not in use will further increase battery life.

With that said, I tested the unit overnight with DC for two nights. ( did not test w/AC)
First night: J 500 at 100%,
Hum off, temp off, runtime 7 hrs 4 mins, Avg press= 13.5 ; End status 90%
Estimated use 7.4 watts per hour. (518w x 10% / 7hrs = 7.4)

Second night: J500 at 90%
Hum at 5, temp at 80 deg runtime 7 hrs 12mins, Avg press= 13.6: End status 49%
Estimated use 29.5 watts per hour. (518w x 41% / 7.2 hrs = 29.5)

Obviously the temp or humidity must have used up more power during the night then expected, based on preliminary readings. The Autoset feature self adjusts as conditions change.

So I feel comfortable camping for a few nights with the humidity and heater off without a recharge. Since the manual suggests not running the Jackery below 20%,
Best case for me should be 56 hrs of dedicated AS 10 use. I will probably charge some phones and iPads, depending on battery status. Hope this helps.

Of course, your results may vary, I don’t guarantee how this combination will work for you and what parameters you run your AS 10 on. Just wanted to give folks considering the Jackery 500 an idea of my experience.

Back