diy solar

diy solar

JBD 7S-20S 200A relay cycling/clicking over and over

kdiver58

Another JBD 7S-20S 200A problem. Everything looks good voltages are good , all cells are reading fine. BUT when I turn on my my Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM inverter
the relay starts cycling. The growatt comes on just fine but it sounds loud and incorrect so I shut it down. I haven't tried to pull a load on the Growatt to see if the relay on the BMS would settle down . Battery pack is a freshly top balanced new cells 24 volts 200ah pack

I have the same JBD 200A BMS, and accidentally caused a short on the PV wires going into the inverter. Ever since then the BMS relay clicks constantly when my Growatt 5000ES Inverter switch is turned on (video below). I'm trying to determine at this point if my BMS is permanently damaged, or if there is some kind of reset possible to restore it.

VIDEO:

NOTE: I replaced the clicking BMS with an identical new one, and the clicking stopped, so I know the clicking issue is specific this one BMS that was installed with the PV wire "event" occurred.

Anyone have experience to troubleshoot this?

@kdiver58 Where is the FET control setting you referred to?

I have the same JBD 200A BMS, and accidentally caused a short on the PV wires going into the inverter. Ever since then the BMS relay clicks constantly when my Growatt 5000ES Inverter switch is turned on (video below). I'm trying to determine at this point if my BMS is permanently damaged, or if there is some kind of reset possible to restore it.

VIDEO:

NOTE: I replaced the clicking BMS with an identical new one, and the clicking stopped, so I know the clicking issue is specific this one BMS that was installed with the PV wire "event" occurred.

Anyone have experience to troubleshoot this?

@kdiver58 Where is the FET control setting you referred to?
I connected my laptop to the BMS directly and used Xiaoxing to go into the settings. Sorry it's at the cabin right now or I would check the location for you.

Any update on this issue ?
FET settings to zero… no clue where to change this settings. I have the XiaoXiang app the overkill solar app (which read the same JBD BMS) and the XiaoXiang software installed on my pc. Can’t find the FET settings anywhere…

I have the same problem.
Would shielding the equalization leads help ?

You need a Uart box and laptop
You unplug Bluetooth module and plug in the Uart box
Then you have more options then phone app
I bought mine from Overkill

I have pc connections that is not the issue…
I have no clue what to change in the settings to stop the clicking.
And in the XiaoXiang software is no FET settings possible.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do not have this setting on the XiaoXiang App or the XiaoXiang pc software.
and now the overkill App is giving me problems too… I can read and write the setting parameters but I don’t see any cell information anymore.

And the FET settings can’t be changed in the App either. I presume this is only possible on the computer not the App on the smartphone.

Unfortunately this whole setup is using hours and days already… I’m getting seriously fed up with this BMS from JBD. I’m about to file a complaint to AliExpress because the vendor is not reactive and I seriously doubt the BMS is working correctly.

Has anyone a manual how to connect the RS485 adapter and or the UART-Canbus adapter from JBD to the JBD BMS?

Much appreciated

Hiya, I just had this happen to me with my BMS last week. I was also using the Overkill app and there is no setting to change the FET control in that app. I could never get the Xiaoxiang app to connect to my BMS so I never tried that one.

We got a UART module with our BMS. It plugs in to the same spot on the BMS board as the bluetooth connector is plugged in to. You have to remove the top panel of your BMS (should just be a few screws) and then unplug the bluetooth module from a little 4-pin connector. That is where you plug in your UART module which also needs a 4-pin connector wire. It should come with the UART device.

I have a Mac laptop and there is no BMS software compatible with my computer that I know of. Thankfully, UART is just a serial port which follows an open protocol. We found this open source project which is just a python package you can install on any computer (`pip install bmstools`) if you're handy with programs and the command-line/terminal.

We ran this script in a Python session:

Code:
from bmstools.jbd import JBD
import serial

s = serial.Serial()
s.baudrate(9600)

# The USB port name that I plugged in my UART module into on my laptop
# You can find your port name by running `python -m serial.tools.list_ports` first
s.port = "/dev/cu.usbserial-AB0PHIJO"
s.open()

j = JBD(s)
print(j.readinfo()) # Tells you all the current settings on the BMS

print(f"FET ctrl val: {j.readIntReg(0x30)}") # Register 0x30 is the FET ctrl
# If that value is 0, then you found the issue! Now you can change it.

# Register 30 can be any value between 0 and 65k. -1 is equivalent to the max value, ~65k (its a 16-bit unsigned Integer)
j.writeIntReg(0x30, 10)

I thought any value that wasn't 0 would fix it, but for some reason it didn't work on mine. I set it to 10 and then it would still click on and off every ten seconds... So I set it to the max, which is what the value -1 provides. This is roughly~65000 seconds, or about 18 hours. Now I think my BMS still resets itself with the loud double click every 18 hours, but that's good enough for me.

Oups…. Software codes… not my cup of tea…
Nevertheless, I managed the uart-rs485 adapter to communicate with my Cerbo through the driver from Louis van der Wall on GitHub. Apparently there was a bug in the driver at the time I tried to install it. This is now fixed and the system is up and running and talks to each other.

Unfortunately the clicking is still there and the sales person from AliExpress is in contact with the technician from JBD. What they told me struck like lightning on a clear day: overvoltage protection should be minimal 3,7V per cell…
I told them that is absurdly high and that is the best setting to kill your cells in matter of months… he couldn’t / wouldn’t believe me and said that this is the way they set up their BMS. Any value below that causes issues.
I’m waiting till tomorrow’s respons and if they can’t fix this “bug” I’m filing complaint and ask for refund. Wish me luck…

Than I’ll try my luck with JK BMS.

I found the problem . They had the FET control set to zero seconds.
You saved me! Forums are the best!
I have been waiting for a solution from lithiumbatterypcb for awhile now.
I have been using many of there bms over the years and the 7-21s 300A is the first one I've have a major issue with. The clicking would not stop and soon as the inverter was powered on. For anyone using the jbdtools pc software the Fet setting has not been translated to english.
Picture is attached.

Attachments

• 7~21s 300A Capture.JPG
    7~21s 300A Capture.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 56
You saved me! Forums are the best!
I have been waiting for a solution from lithiumbatterypcb for awhile now.
I have been using many of there bms over the years and the 7-21s 300A is the first one I've have a major issue with. The clicking would not stop and soon as the inverter was powered on. For anyone using the jbdtools pc software the Fet setting has not been translated to english.
Picture is attached.
Thank you both, kdiver and Jim Lahey!!! This fixed the problem with mine, same BMS, when there was any active charge or discharge. So happy!!

Back