diy solar

diy solar

JBD BMS Trips on Tool Start Up

For how long?

Does it have a contactor, or is it still FET based?

While it would seem to be logical, these are still relatively inexpensive BMSs made in China. I would not assume that the BMS is a scaled up version of the last. It may have less surge tolerance due to the higher continuous rating.

If the overkillsolar app works with your JBD (it seems to on most if not all), the newest version of the app allows for 2nd and 3rd level protection settings. You might investigate that.
Hey mate you sound like you know what your talking about !can you please help me? ive brought a lifepo4 battery with a jbd bms, i charge my batterys with a pannel and alternator it apears during charging my bms is momenterily shuting down my batterys im thinking maybe to balance cells? while its not a problem for my pannels it is for my alternator as its creating spikes and playing havic with my electrics can you shed any light on this for me and a remedy? thankyou

Hey mate you sound like you know what your talking about !can you please help me? ive brought a lifepo4 battery with a jbd bms, i charge my batterys with a pannel and alternator it apears during charging my bms is momenterily shuting down my batterys im thinking maybe to balance cells? while its not a problem for my pannels it is for my alternator as its creating spikes and playing havic with my electrics can you shed any light on this for me and a remedy? thankyou

Yep. Sounds like BMS charge protection. I would avoid charging with alternator until you can get the battery balanced. Holding a battery at 13.8V-14.4V for 24 hours may show improvement. Often, the battery will self-correct with normal use, but it may take many cycles.

Yep. Sounds like BMS charge protection. I would avoid charging with alternator until you can get the battery balanced. Holding a battery at 13.8V-14.4V for 24 hours may show improvement. Often, the battery will self-correct with normal use, but it may take many cycles.
Ok thankyou sunshine ego! So if i understand this right because the battery cells are out of balance its not able to except the charge that it should be able to, which is setting off the protection mode momentarily creating a spike and coarsing damage to my circit what i need to do is get blue tooth setup on batterys moniter my cells and when they are out of balance make sure my external regulator is turned right down(which i can do as its on my dash and easily controlled by a potentiomiter ) Can you please confirm my plan with me to make sure im on the right track!

Only other thing thats got me a bit confused is it has also happened when its only taking a very small charge from my solar pannels i would guess the charge would have been about 150 watts at the time.

Thankyou kind sir

Ok thankyou sunshine ego! So if i understand this right because the battery cells are out of balance its not able to except the charge that it should be able to, which is setting off the protection mode momentarily creating a spike and coarsing damage to my circit

Yes.

what i need to do is get blue tooth setup on batterys moniter my cells and when they are out of balance make sure my external regulator is turned right down(which i can do as its on my dash and easily controlled by a potentiomiter ) Can you please confirm my plan with me to make sure im on the right track!

If you're saying you can decrease your alternator output voltage, yes.

Only other thing thats got me a bit confused is it has also happened when its only taking a very small charge from my solar pannels i would guess the charge would have been about 150 watts at the time.

Protection of this nature is based on voltage not current. A single cell can hit the protection voltage even under very low power/current.

Back