diy solar

diy solar

JBD BMS turned off and will not come back on.

Finally, I'm back.

Got the new BMS. This one is for up to 21 cells, so I had to make some changes to the J2 balance leads for the extra wire.

When I powered it up, I used the Overkill app. When selecting "Settings" the app automatically queries the BMS. Took screenshots of that, then queried the BMS manually. Screenshots again. I compared both sets and found no differences.

My USB to RS485 adapter (Waveshare) won't communicate with this BMS either. I guess that's a problem for another day.

So, I'm ready to switch Charge/Discharge to ON. Any last minute suggestions?

Settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231121-104653_Overkill Solar.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121-104653_Overkill Solar.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231121-104703_Overkill Solar.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121-104703_Overkill Solar.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231121-104711_Overkill Solar.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121-104711_Overkill Solar.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 13
The Overkill app is not fully compatible with the contactor BMS, it messes with the contactor setting not in a good way.
See that setting on the right below 20% currently at 65000....that might be the setting not sure. It's an energy saving mode that will turn the contactor off if no power is flowing in or out of the BMS.

BMS is up and running. Since there is concern about using the Overkill app for a JBD contactor BMS, I decided to try the XiaoXiang app. As soon as it connected to the BMS, the contactor switched on. Everything seems fine, but I'm still leery of making changes.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow tomorrow

It Lives!

I decided to give the dead BMS one more try.

An RS485 adapter from Overkill Solar (great price at $11) was working well with the new BMS and a PC running both the Xiaoxiang and Overkill PC apps. Hooked up the dead BMS and RS485 adapter. It was still dead.

Read the settings and found FET cntl set to 2 sec.

Wrote the file from the new BMS to the "dead" one, "rebooted" and it works. FET cntl is now 65000 sec on the Xx app and, curiously, zero on the Overkill.

FET cntl is one of the settings I couldn't find on the phone apps.

I now have a spare BMS.

Back