diy solar

diy solar

Just another noob building his first system, recommendations welcomed.

dark_ride

I'm thinking of building a small solar system to get my feet wet. I've always wanted to build one, my biggest issue right now is budget. My intention with this system is to use the power as it's being produced more than storing it and having the battery be a float for extra draw/charge. I'm planning to power some things around the house during the day when possible. Eventually I'll probably double my panel & storage capacity and add another charge controller for those panels at that time.

So here's the system I've picked out so far:

2 x 375w GCL panels $200/ea = $400 (Local, new old stock) probably in series https://www.solarreviews.com/manufa...y/solar-panels/gcsue39551gclsaturngclm672h375

40 amp PowMr or HQST SCC $70/$95 (Amazon)

100ah 24v Lifepo4 $540 (Li Time)

24v 2000w Giandel pure sine inverter $280 (Amazon)

Probably going to add an automatic transfer switch for when the sun goes down as well. So let me know your thoughts, parts to avoid, different parts to consider, etc. Are those panels a good deal? Any reason this wouldn't work together or would work poorly? Thanks in advance.

You can do this, but you should add up all the loads you want to power, and calculate if the system will do it first.

I did find some of these panels used for $100/ea.

Definitely older, not sure how old they are. Probably won't hit their rated wattage. Would need to be wired in parallel, but could pick up more and still be within budget.

I did find some of these panels used for $100/ea.

Definitely older, not sure how old they are. Probably won't hit their rated wattage. Would need to be wired in parallel, but could pick up more and still be within budget.

I'm really leaning towards getting these panels. Even if they have 75% capacity, I can buy 4 for what I was planning to pay for 2 of the others and have about 250w more generation. Is there a reason not to get these? Space isn't an issue.

Back