diy solar

diy solar

Keep older panels or not?

Hravn

I have two existing Kyocera KD140SX-UPU 140 Watt panels
VPM 17.7, Imp 7.9, VOC 22.1
already up on the roof feeding a 6 year old, 12 volt fla golf cart bank (4 x 6 volts). The PO ran these and didn't maintain them well, so they are toast.

I plan to replace the batteries with a 24 volt eg4, and add 2-4 more panels initially, probably 360 w panasonics
the Kyo panels face sw, while the new ones will face se and s, so small sun exposure, but spread out over the day.

so if the kyoceras are set up in series as a separate parallel string will they still contribute to decent charging or should I just replace them with newer ? everything would go into a epever mppt 60 w ssc.

off grid cabin running some led lights, playing dvds, and charging up phones etc for now.

panasonic evervolt 360, vmp 36.7, so x2 73 vs 34. not very close.

If the new Panasonics are about the same amperage, you could buy three of them. Wire the two older Kyocera panels in series with one of the new Panasonics. It will be putting out ~7.9A at 72.1V. Parallel that with another pair of Panasonics, also wired in series to get 73.4V. The two string voltages differ by only 1.8%. What's the Imp of the new Panasonics? If greater than 7.9A, you'd be losing the difference.

Back