diy solar

diy solar

Keep or Eliminate 240V Transformer w/ Redesign?

PaleBlueDotFarm

Hello!

I've recently moved into an off-grid home with an old, small solar system. I am researching redesigning into a appropriately sized system w/ 48V LiFePO4 server rack batteries. I have some background putting together smaller solar generators, this is my first big residential project.

The existing system uses a Xantrex Trace 4000W inverter (mfr 1999!) to a PSX-240 transformer, needed for a well pump. From the transformer, the lines run to a PV system/Generator transfer switch, then to the panel.

Question: How important is it to eliminate the transformer in redesigning? From a DIY-ness, and cost standpoint, it seems attractive to potentially throw an 120V all-in-one on, and hook directly up to the existing transformer.

Thanks for any help - finally leaving the lurker curtain of Will's videos.

Are you planning to use the all-in-one to power a well pump? Have you determined it is capable of doing so?
The older inverters are legendary for dealing with heavy loads.

You can get split-phase inverters, and 120V single-phase inverters stackable for 120/240V split phase (or 3-phase.)
Plan for future use when you "upgrade" (if you can call replacing a Trace "upgrading.")

Are you planning to use the all-in-one to power a well pump? Have you determined it is capable of doing so?
The older inverters are legendary for dealing with heavy loads.

You can get split-phase inverters, and 120V single-phase inverters stackable for 120/240V split phase (or 3-phase.)
Plan for future use when you "upgrade" (if you can call replacing a Trace "upgrading.")
The pump draws at most 8 amps, and produces 20+ gpm, so it doesn't need to run much/often. I haven't selected an inverter yet, since my determining factor is if/why I really need to do the extra work to eliminate the otherwise perfectly good transformer.

Would something like an MPP 6048 or SunGold 6500W at 120VAC output potentially be appropriate to connect to the existing transformer - with the option of adding another in the future for split phase 240V if we wanted to takedown the transformer?

As in 5x surge, 80A at 120V surge.

If you get yourself a clamp ammeter that logs surge, you can confirm the figure.

Back