diy solar

diy solar

"Max" 120V Inverter to Pair with 240V Step-up Transformer

PaleBlueDotFarm

I currently am using a Trace Xantrex 4024 with 120V output connected to a PSX-240 transformer. I will be replacing the inverter with a to-be-identified 48V system, still with 120V to the transformer.

I'm having trouble finding any specifications for inverter output to the transformer. Is there a max output I need to consider?

Thank you!

If you are going to go with a 48V inverter that has not been purchased, there are several choices that will give you split phase 240V and 120V without the need for a step up transformer which would simplify your system although initially would probably require some rewiring.

To answer you question. As long as the output of the inverter is at least equal to the load connected to the transformer and all the other 120V loads combined, everything should work as expected. To say it another way, there is only a minimum inverter output that needs to be considered not a maximum. This is because the Loads only draw the amount of current they require regardless of how big the inverter or transformer is.

Back