diy solar

diy solar

Lg resu10h prime

Battery combiner box, is there an alternative to the Resu plus combiner box or the solaredge cmbn-6k for parallel battery wiring?

Does anyone know where I can source either an LG Resu plus combiner box or a solaredge cmbn-6k?

Hello people,
Apparently a combiner box is not necessary in the US to run two Lg resu10h batteries in parallel. Only a junction box to tie the two batteries together and then to the inverter. The battery is currently wired with #10 to the inverter. To wire these batteries in parallel the way I understand it is to run both positive cables and then both negative cables tied together via a junction box and then to the inverter battery input.
This seems pretty basic?
Any experts to chime in would be great!
Thank you in advance.

And ground.
And communications, including jumper for terminating resistor.

As detailed in the manual Sunshine linked.

And ground.
And communications, including jumper for terminating resistor.

As detailed in the manual Sunshine linked.
Hedges I think you got the used ones you purchased working?
Did you make a thread about it?

Yes, working. Actually unused e-waste.
No thread yet, couple of posts under someone else's thread with SBS issues.

OP's is "Prime", supports multiple inverter types. Mine is "Type-C" for Sunny Boy Storage.

I'm working through SBS updates and issues with SBS not always doing what it's told.
No issues observed with the LG battery.

Hey Hedges,
So both batteries are wired in parallel to the inverter. The primary is functioning properly however the communication of the secondary is not reaching the converter. Communication is daisy chained from the secondary to the primary. The dip switches are a litte confusing on the proper setting for the secondary?The primary resu has all dip switches up the . What is the dip switch setting for the secondary?

Thanks in advance@

Apparently your application and Prime allow parallel batteries and daisy chained communications.
Right now I'm using SBS, which has three separate battery power and data ports. Haven't seen mention of parallel.

The manual for your, linked above by 🌞, details switch settings in "3.3.1 Cable Configuration"

It shows Section C dip switch settings for primary vs. secondary battery.
It shows Section B terminating resistor, but not how to set.

"7.1.1 settings for communicating terminating resistor"

I am having trouble following their words and diagrams.
They say, "middle side", maybe that means a battery in the middle of a daisy-chain bus.
They show resistor enabled for Primary, not for Secondary. I expect that only if Primary is last battery in the bus. If you buy one battery then add another, I'd think Secondary might end up being the last.

"daisy chained from the secondary to the primary" sounds like what they say.

I think the communication wires should daisy chain, with minimal if any stub (like < 1"). For my Sunny Boys, I insert the ends of two LAN cable into the same screw terminal.

I think resistors should be enabled by DIP switch at the end(s) of the bus.

For you, I think Primary Section C gets both switches up, Secondary gets left switch up, right switch down.

1717346192369.png

For section B, I think Primary gets both switches DOWN (on), secondary gets both UP (off)

1717346288341.png

THANKS Hedges,
I came up with the same conclusion.
The explanation in the manual is quite confusing! With the dip switches arrows and the position of the dip switches in the diagram it's very confusing. Do you happen to know if when adding the second does the first need to be fully charged? And Secondly ,do you know if both batteries will populate on the SolarEdge monitoring app?
Thanks again for you're help, time, and insight!

I don't think SoC matters at all, because the batteries themselves don't get paralleled.
My RESU-10H is nominally 150V and has boost converter to 400V, so only boost converters would get paralleled.
Prime I think is same architecture.

A native HV battery would need to deal with reaching compatible voltage before paralleling.

BYD HVM expands by stacking batteries in series. I'd think in that case top-balancing would be appropriate. I don't know what architecture it has to maintain balance across the 2 ~ 5 series-connected modules. It's max wattage depends on the number in series, because current is limited. Same for the inverter.

SolarEdge, I have no experience with (just a bit of reading and talking to installers.)

I'm using Sunny Boy Storage, still trying to resolve an issue where it delays start of charge cycle every other day, but that is presumably an inverter not battery issue so how yours behaves will be unrelated.

Good morning Hedges
I am trying to understand the proper sequence of operation. How should the batteries charge and discharge assuming that one is primary and the other secondary. Will they charge and discharge together or separately. It seems as one should fully charge or discharge before the next comes in to the same sequence? There's very little info on the sequence of proper operation with two batteries wired to one inverter?

Thanks

I would assume they charge/discharge together, sharing current approximately equally.

Not sure about the Prime, but my earlier model is 9.8 kWh, 5kW max, recommended not to exceed about 3kW discharge for longest life.
So with 2 batteries, would want my 5.0kW SBS to draw 2.5kW from each.
In my case they have separate power terminals and separate data ports.
LG RESU-10H has boost converter (and this causes issues for backup use with AC coupled GT PV inverters due to delay reversing DC/DC converter direction) but SBS also supports native HV batteries (works for backup)

If these were bare HV batteries, when paralleled they would be at same voltage and current draw would depend on SoC and resistance.
Because they are about 150V batteries (at least my model) with bidirectional boost converter to 400V, each could control its output.

I think they draw current from cells supplying boost converter which attempts to maintain 400V.
When PCB level DC/DC converters are paralleled, they may have a "parallel" signal to aid in sharing.
For these, I would expect the DC/DC converter to be programmed to have a slight sag in voltage vs. current, facilitating sharing.

If not matched in SoC initially, I'd expect them to get synced up the first time they approach 100% or 0%.

Hi Hedges
I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in!! You are certainly very knowledgeable. This communication seems like it would be super simple and besides the daisy chained communication the only other factor are the dip switches. Just to make sure both batteries are working properly ihave hooked them both up as primary ,solo and the both behave perfectly alone .
It's just getting them to communicate together with the inverter.

Thanks again for you're time and knowledge!

Hi Hedges
I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in!! You are certainly very knowledgeable. This communication seems like it would be super simple and besides the daisy chained communication the only other factor are the dip switches. Just to make sure both batteries are working properly ihave hooked them both up as primary ,solo and the both behave perfectly alone .
It's just getting them to communicate together with the inverter.

Thanks again for you're time and knowledge!
I will try you're dip switches suggestions and see how that goes

Back