diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 batteries 8 years old.

What would you pay for good quality LiFePo4 batteries 8 years old hardly used in a caravan but trickle charged and maintained the whole time. Would 50% of the original cost be too much?
Maybe 50% of current cost but not original cost. I'd probably walk away even then unless it's exactly what you want, but that's me. 8 years old, there's going to be some degradation. 25% to 30% would make it worth taking the risk to me, but this is all purely subjective.

Last edited:
You could easily determine remaining capacity.

IF you were able to capacity test them you could price at a used discount from that capacity.

I have decided to buy these 6 x 50AH 12V batteries for USD $467. They are 8 years old.
Included is:
1 x Victron 12V 30amp blue smart charger which I will sell.
7 x 40W good quality, caravan type, solar panels which I will sell.
1 x 1500w pure sine wave inverter - will sell also.
Bus bars to suit - keeping.
I should recover around USD $167
Total cost USD $300 or USD $50 each
I figure 3 years & I get my money back - if they last.
Thanks to those who answered.

Consider capacity testing them and posting the results here.

I’m amazed how well some of my older LiFePO4 batteries hold up.
agreed, as posted in another treat..
my 2015 build plastic encases calb cells are still well above 80%.
do have to say it treat themwell and didnt stress them by over, under or to fast charging.
get yourself a good cell tester and see what they will give you

I have an 8 year old LFP that I always stored fully charged for 4 years before I knew better and it is still well over 80% capacity although I didn’t test it when new for a baseline.

Any simple DROK or other chinesium meter that will track Ah is sufficient to test for this purpose while using the battery IMHO.

I have an 8 year old LFP that I always stored fully charged for 4 years before I knew better and it is still well over 80% capacity although I didn’t test it when new for a baseline.

Any simple DROK or other chinesium meter that will track Ah is sufficient to test for this purpose while using the battery IMHO.
I will look that up - Thanks

I will look that up - Thanks

Something like this :

I have an older even cheaper model but I just run a load until shutdown and the DROK keeps a running Ah total.

On my old one you have to pay attention at the end since when the battery shuts down the data is lost.

Edit: I see on the newer one I linked you can power it externally.

I think I just cost myself some money to upgrade ?.

diy solar

diy solar
Back