diy solar

diy solar

LifePO4 batteries getting cheap enough who cares if they last?

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
I was just looking back on the some of the batteries I purchased from last year up to a few months back. The prices of them have dropped considerably such that even ones of greater ah capacity are now cheaper. For instance I can now get on special a 100ah 24vDC LiFePO4 for under $200 (with coupon saving) that I recently paid $230 for a 80ah version. Yes these are bottom of the barrel batteries but at this prices if they last a couple of years it does not matter much. My only problem is the cheap ones I got now are still working fine and I really have no need to get more.

Rather amazing to see the continuing drop in solar panels and lithium batteries cost. I thought I might see an uptick in prices with the new Tariffs announced but nothing so-far.

Last edited:
Nice prices, but estimated delivery in August? I don't know how you guys can wait that long for things. I want my toys overnight.
:) Understandable. Having gotten used to the interminable wait periods when buying batteries from China for a few years now I simply put it out of my mind. Eventually the stuff arrives and the enjoyment begins.

:) Understandable. Having gotten used to the interminable wait periods when buying batteries from China for a few years now I simply put it out of my mind. Eventually the stuff arrives and the enjoyment begins.
I'm guessing the key is to just have a constant stream of it coming in. As long as you keep ordering stuff, once you get over that initial hump, it's Christmas everyday!

From a waste and environmental perspective, it would be preferable for such items to last the distance.

Exactly the point I was going to make.

We are running out of easily obtained resources. Those that are left will require considerably more effort to obtain. Those efforts might be ugly (some types of mining, refining, etc.).

We should ALL do what we can to live small, and below (WAYYY below) our means.

Find another way to have a happy life other than possessing more stuff than you really need.

I think it's getting to that point. When 100Ah 12.8V LFP are less than 200Ah AGM, it's a no-brainer in most cases, but yeah... even if you end up with a dud that fails prematurely from from time to time, your average cost moving forward will be notably less than AGM.
Key is having many of them so the failure of one or two doesn't upset the battery bank.

You doing the t class fuses on each battery, or the 100amp midnite breakers?
Still a work in progress but will have mnedc250s for each 5kWh "module", i.e per pair of 24V 100Ahs, pair of 48V 50Ah and a quad of 12V 100Ah.

I'm wondering how to think about the price decreases due to current market conditions, versus the natural 'deflation' that happens as technology progresses and newer batteries become higher capacity. Like if I buy a few cells/batteries now that I don't necessarily need at the moment, if I wait a 6-12 months and battery demand has gone higher again, will the same capacity cells remain a similar price because better technologies are on the market?

Still a work in progress but will have mnedc250s for each 5kWh "module", i.e per pair of 24V 100Ahs, pair of 48V 50Ah and a quad of 12V 100Ah.
That's beefy. I would love to see a video testing those someday, have you found any showing them stop a massive battery dump at 48vdc?

We are running out of easily obtained resources. Those that are left will require considerably more effort to obtain. Those efforts might be ugly (some types of mining, refining, etc.).

No need to be wasteful for the sake of being wasteful it is true. After all we ran out of oil in the late 80's, I know this to be true cause I saw it on several TV documentaries in the late 70's. Thus while the earths resources are definitely finite at some level, I'm not sure how big of a concern this will be even over the long term. Aluminium is infinitely recyclable, matter can neither be created nor destroyed by conventional means, thus many of theses physical resources will likely be re-used /recycled once the effort of obtaining it from mining becomes more expensive than figuring out how to do the recycling. I don't think any of us will even be remembered by the time this happens.

We already recycle lead-acid batteries, I think Aluminum Ion will be an environmental game changer, and I think technology will solve all these issues over time.

That's beefy. I would love to see a video testing those someday, have you found any showing them stop a massive battery dump at 48vdc?
I've seen their test process for their mnepv din breakers, very impressive, I have no doubts the mnedcs will work if needed

No need to be wasteful for the sake of being wasteful it is true. After all we ran out of oil in the late 80's, I know this to be true cause I saw it on several TV documentaries in the late 70's. Thus while the earths resources are definitely finite at some level, I'm not sure how big of a concern this will be even over the long term. Aluminium is infinitely recyclable, matter can neither be created nor destroyed by conventional means, thus many of theses physical resources will likely be re-used /recycled once the effort of obtaining it from mining becomes more expensive than figuring out how to do the recycling. I don't think any of us will even be remembered by the time this happens.

We already recycle lead-acid batteries, I think Aluminum Ion will be an environmental game changer, and I think technology will solve all these issues over time.

Yup, we'll be "mining" the landfills where all the aluminum cans that folks are too lazy to divert to recycling wind up.

And I hope that we can use solar and other renewables to do this:

"thus many of theses physical resources will likely be re-used /recycled once the effort of obtaining it from mining becomes more expensive than figuring out how to do the recycling."

Is it a 100ah or a 32ah ?
This is why aliexpress always looks like bs to me;
There are several different batteries listed. You have to ensure you pick the right one from the selection icon images and text above description. As you choose each one the price also adjusts.

From a waste and environmental perspective, it would be preferable for such items to last the distance.
Perhaps we can burn old lithium batteries for more energy? Kill two birds with one toxic materiel.

Sure.....until sodium ion battery takes over and you will need to replace all your equipment just to accommodate the change due to the voltage curve characteristic......that means more spending.

diy solar

diy solar
Back