diy solar

diy solar

DIY LiFePO4 Cost Analysis - The Cheap November 2023 European Edition

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
Staff member
Time to do a another calculation again. (previous posts here, here and here) - but this time, I will go cheap (but with cells available in Europe - I'll do an international Alibaba version at some point).

Disclaimer, as usual: I mention vendors below and use them as an example and as reference. This should not be considered an endorsement of said vendors!

We again start again with leveling the playing field. I'll go with SOK again (because we don't have many other options), like last time. A 5kW SOK rack mount battery is currently retailing at 1699 Euro (100 Euro cheaper than last July). The shipping cost seems to be a flat 50 Euro per battery, so we'll add that making the total 1749 Euro.

As before, we want to be able to build a battery with popular cells such as the 280/304Ah EVE and similar. To have the same capacity for comparison, we can build a 15kWh battery pack. That means we also need three of the SOK batteries for this comparison, so that brings the total for the off-the-shelf 15kWh battery to 5247 Euro.

For our DIY pack, we go with cells from NKON again. We want cheap, so we're going with grade B cells, 280Ah Envision cells, for €72,95 each in single unit quantities. We will need 16 to have an approximate 15kWh pack, which brings the cost per cell down to 69 Euro for a total of 1104 Euro. Shipping for this (to Finland) costs €114.14, for a total of 1218.14 Euro.

As before, I'm sticking to the JK BMS. The 200A with 2A balancing would set me back €145 with free shipping based on current prices at Hankzor on Aliexpress.

Since class T fuses are still difficult to get, I'm going to go with BS88 fuses again, 125LET Eaton Bussman. These are readily available from Farnell, RS, TME, etc. At Farnell I can buy them for 45.77 Euro total including shipping and VAT.

I'm going to skip the DC breaker, even though I could find a cheaper one than the 200 Euro Elmark I picked last time...

That brings the total to 1408.91 Euro including all shipping and VAT for the DIY system (or about 94 Euro per kWh), versus 5247 Euro for the SOK system. Even if we add the Elmark breaker back in at 200 Euro, we're at 1608.91 Euro for the DIY pack, or 30% of the cost of the SOK system. Now, if we could get an EG4 at the same price they're currently at across the pond (1156 Euro, let's assume this includes shipping) DIY would still be at around 50% of the price compared to off the shelf.

And yes, grade B cells - you may need a couple of extra spare cells just in case. As usual, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it, and worth your time and effort to build it or buy off-the-shelf.

Time to do a another calculation again. (previous posts here, here and here) - but this time, I will go cheap (but with cells available in Europe - I'll do an international Alibaba version at some point).

Disclaimer, as usual: I mention vendors below and use them as an example and as reference. This should not be considered an endorsement of said vendors!

We again start again with leveling the playing field. I'll go with SOK again (because we don't have many other options), like last time. A 5kW SOK rack mount battery is currently retailing at 1699 Euro (100 Euro cheaper than last July). The shipping cost seems to be a flat 50 Euro per battery, so we'll add that making the total 1749 Euro.

As before, we want to be able to build a battery with popular cells such as the 280/304Ah EVE and similar. To have the same capacity for comparison, we can build a 15kWh battery pack. That means we also need three of the SOK batteries for this comparison, so that brings the total for the off-the-shelf 15kWh battery to 5247 Euro.

For our DIY pack, we go with cells from NKON again. We want cheap, so we're going with grade B cells, 280Ah Envision cells, for €72,95 each in single unit quantities. We will need 16 to have an approximate 15kWh pack, which brings the cost per cell down to 69 Euro for a total of 1104 Euro. Shipping for this (to Finland) costs €114.14, for a total of 1218.14 Euro.

As before, I'm sticking to the JK BMS. The 200A with 2A balancing would set me back €145 with free shipping based on current prices at Hankzor on Aliexpress.

Since class T fuses are still difficult to get, I'm going to go with BS88 fuses again, 125LET Eaton Bussman. These are readily available from Farnell, RS, TME, etc. At Farnell I can buy them for 45.77 Euro total including shipping and VAT.

I'm going to skip the DC breaker, even though I could find a cheaper one than the 200 Euro Elmark I picked last time...

That brings the total to 1408.91 Euro including all shipping and VAT for the DIY system (or about 94 Euro per kWh), versus 5247 Euro for the SOK system. Even if we add the Elmark breaker back in at 200 Euro, we're at 1608.91 Euro for the DIY pack, or 30% of the cost of the SOK system. Now, if we could get an EG4 at the same price they're currently at across the pond (1156 Euro, let's assume this includes shipping) DIY would still be at around 50% of the price compared to off the shelf.

And yes, grade B cells - you may need a couple of extra spare cells just in case. As usual, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it, and worth your time and effort to build it or buy off-the-shelf.
Once again, thanks for your view on the subject!

In order to be comparable, I think that a breaker and a battery box is mandatory.
We want similar end results.
I'm having second thoughts about using B Grade instead of A grade, as that is what I would expect inside SOK's batteries.

Again, there are so many possible POV for getting this comparation done, that yours is totally fine.

For future reference, I would consider two systems, as cheap as it gets, and as similar as it gets.

Regards!!

Once again, thanks for your view on the subject!

In order to be comparable, I think that a breaker and a battery box is mandatory.
We want similar end results.
I'm having second thoughts about using B Grade instead of A grade, as that is what I would expect inside SOK's batteries.

Again, there are so many possible POV for getting this comparation done, that yours is totally fine.

For future reference, I would consider two systems, as cheap as it gets, and as similar as it gets.

Regards!!
Agreed, but you’d also need to factor in bus bars and cabling for those 3 SOK racks.

The others I did before considered that, except maybe for the case - but there are plenty of options: mine used to be in an insulated wooden box, now they are in a shelf (cost about 50 Euro and holds three banks).
And yeah, this edition was intended to be just the cheap one :)

The DIY option for those with the tools & equipment is an excellent option. If someone has to buy the tools, like crimpers, DMM/DVOM, DC Charger and others, that can add up BUT of course this cost is spread out into the cost of all your batteries... Fortunately, almost all of these tools will have an ongoing life so it isn't a biggy really. It is easy to carried away, one must be careful with the tools. ;-)

I also built my own Boxes out of 3/4" Plywood with clear Polycarbonate tops (boy that stuff got insane price jumps, I mean Holy Maccaroni ! ouch) and even a sheet of PureBond Finishing Plywood has gone beyond insane @ $95 a sheet. Let me put it this way, the Steel Cases for battery packs are cost-comparable now... (for my design) so I ordered new steel cases for all of my battery packs.

A note on Steel Cases for the DIY Crowd. We have seen most vendors step up and list cases for 8S/16S configurations and some of them are quite innovative with their formats (especially for the larger cells above 200AH). The prices are "All Over the place" as well which makes it difficult to compare prices. The other factor is that some vendors offer "bare cases" that are just the "box" while others include the extras like separator sheets, silicone wire for the BMS, breakers etc... I have looked around and none appear to be selling "flat packed" cases that require assembly into a box which would drop the shipping cost. I have also searched to see if any similar cases made in Canada, USA or EU, and No Joy ! I was surprised honestly, it's not like there is any special engineering or anything to make these up. Makes one wonder why.

Just a thought for some to ponder upon.
A DIY Battery in a plywood box is fine for most of us and it will work for as long as the batteries live.
Electrical Inspectors of course go into Cringe Mode if it isn't "Factory Made" and even moreso if there are no "Certifications".
Insurance Companies are another factor... Any excuse to deny a claim is their primary mantra, best not to provide a possible excuse for them.
Batteries in cases (Rack or Otherwise) don't raise eyebrows or hackles and actually present better (more professional) when viewed by an outsider (inspectors to home buyers or just friends & family too).
Some of us are older and do have to take into account what happens afterwards... Not something everyone considers but like being born, its a fact of life.

If anyone knows of Battery Boxes/Cases made "Domestically" in North America/EU etc it would be handy to know...

the envision cells are 305AH

If anyone knows of Battery Boxes/Cases made "Domestically" in North America/EU etc it would be handy to know...
Yes, indeed. So far, all I've seen is the box that comes with all parts like connectivity towards BMS and the BMS included, or a bare bones, a few separators only. Price difference is quite large, but at least you can use a JK BMS with the latter ones.

Some companies produce boxes with fronts to accommodate the different BMS ports & displays as there is no "standard" as yet but interestingly it appears that many companies are adopting a default standard. An example is the RJ45 connectors (daughter board) layouts and even the displays are starting to "normalize" between companies. For myself, my cases are all being setup for the new JKBMS Inverter edition.

Last edited:
This is what I'm interested in also.
My packs currently have the previous version of JK without inverter support. They've been very good to me but the new version is more or less what I have been waiting for (function & capability wise). Anyways, that is outside of topic here, so back to the regular programming. LOL

My packs currently have the previous version of JK without inverter support. They've been very good to me but the new version is more or less what I have been waiting for (function & capability wise). Anyways, that is outside of topic here, so back to the regular programming. LOL
Would be very interesting to hear your opinion about this one Steve..
I've so far see mixed opinions about it.
Planning to use the bms-inverter comms ?

In the camper I use an Victron MultiPlus 2 and when charging from the grid, the JK BMS does not have a connection with the MP2 so it cannot signal a lower charge current when the battery is nearing full SOC. I programmed some Node-RED stuff on the Victron Cerbo to lower charging current, which seems to work fine.

NKON sells 16x LF280K V3 grade A cells for $83 ea in EU. I wonder why we have to pay $125 ea. in US? Import tax?

NKON sells 16x LF280K V3 grade A cells for $83 ea in EU. I wonder why we have to pay $125 ea. in US? Import tax?
Nkon's price includes import tax (eu) and dutch VAT (21%).

At this moment I see no reason to.import from china direct anymore for me

Back