diy solar

diy solar

DIY LiFePO4 Cost Analysis - July 2023 European Edition

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
Staff member
After making a couple of posts detailing the costs for DIY LiFePO4 based on a couple of popular vendors, I though of making one that uses cells available for purchase in the EU, with only the BMS from Aliexpress.

Disclaimer: I mention vendors below and use them as an example and as reference. This should not be considered an endorsement of said vendors!

We again start again with leveling the playing field. For this I thought it to be a good idea to start from a rack based battery available in the EU. EG4, etc. are not available here, so we're stuck with Pylontech or SOK - I'll go with SOK. A 5kW SOK rack mount battery is currently retailing at 1799 Euro. The shipping cost seems to be a flat 50 Euro per battery, so we'll add that making the total 1849 Euro.

As before, we want to be able to build a battery with popular cells such as the 280/304Ah EVE and similar. To have the same capacity for comparison, we can build a 15kWh battery pack. That means we also need three of the SOK batteries for this comparison, so that brings the total for the off-the-shelf 15kWh battery to 5547 Euro.

For our DIY pack, we go with cells from NKON. Looking at their prismatic offerings, the REPT caught my eye. It's a grade B cell, 280Ah, for 119.5 Euro in single unit quantity. We will need 16 to have an approximate 15kWh pack, which brings the cost per cell to 114.85 Euro for a total of 1837.6 Euro. Shipping for this (to Finland) costs €115.97, for a total of 1953.57 Euro.

As before, I'm sticking to the JK BMS. The 200A with 2A balancing would set me back €161.85 with free shipping based on current prices at Hankzor on Aliexpress.

Since class T fuses are still difficult to get, I'm going to go with BS88 fuses again, 125LET Eaton Bussman. These are readily available from Farnell, RS, TME, etc. At Farnell I can buy them for 32.16 Euro each, with 13 Euro shipping for a total of 45.16 Euro. It would obviously be cheaper per unit to buy a few of them instead of just one.

Let's also add a DC breaker - I picked the MCCB DC1 from Elmark. This is a double pole, 250A 1000V breaker. They should be available for around 200 Euro including shipping.

That brings the total to 2360.58 Euro including all shipping and VAT for the DIY system, or about 157 Euro per kWh.

All good info thanks (y)

EG4, etc. are not available here, so we're stuck with Pylontech or SOK - I'll go with SOK. A 5kW SOK rack mount battery is currently retailing at 1799 Euro. The shipping cost seems to be a flat 50 Euro per battery, so we'll add that making the total 1849 Euro.

My only comment would be (and I have no connection with this company apart from being a customer) is what about Fogstar's rack from the UK? OK, we're not part of the EU now, but they ship to Europe. Their rack (5kWh) is 1125 sterling before our 20% VAT. And their envision grade B 305Ah cells are currently just £84 + VAT. With EVE 280Ah cells from 100 GBP.

How many labor hours are needed to test, balance, and assemble a typical 15kWh DIY build?

All good info thanks (y)

My only comment would be (and I have no connection with this company apart from being a customer) is what about Fogstar's rack from the UK? OK, we're not part of the EU now, but they ship to Europe. Their rack (5kWh) is 1125 sterling before our 20% VAT. And their envision grade B 305Ah cells are currently just £84 + VAT. With EVE 280Ah cells from 100 GBP.

Yeah, I did skip UK companies - shipping from there tends to be a pain...

What about sprinkling in 200Eu for various inter cell/BMS/breaker connections and terminals?

A server rack batter has terminal posts, it’d be best to at least factor in some fluff for providing the same wiring equivalent.

Either want you can’t beat the enjoyment of DIY.

What about sprinkling in 200Eu for various inter cell/BMS/breaker connections and terminals?

A server rack batter has terminal posts, it’d be best to at least factor in some fluff for providing the same wiring equivalent.

Either want you can’t beat the enjoyment of DIY.
Ok..
My seplos enclosures include every thing..
Total cost in getting them here ~ 500 euro
Was fortunate to get some of those envision cells before they went out of stock
115,35 x 16 = 1845,6
Enclosure = 500

Total = 2345,6 for 15.616 kwh

Sounds very good price. How do they compare to say EVE cells, performance wise? Does anyone know about their longevity?
seems similar to the EVE lf304 so far, however dont have longer time test data, just gave them a quick run over with my ebl cell tester

Back