diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 battery box identification

What size cells are you using? I looked at a lot of boxes the other day but not Craftsman. I ended up with a Milwaukee Packout XL without wheels. The issue I had was finding one with a good 12" back to front for my 280ah cells. The Milwaukee L size was not available to measure but might work. Problem is it specs just a bit shallow.

I'm still debating going 2x 12v but If I go 24v in the big box I am hoping to avoid anything in the lid so I don't have to deal with things moving when opened/closed.

What size cells are you using? I looked at a lot of boxes the other day but not Craftsman. I ended up with a Milwaukee Packout XL without wheels. The issue I had was finding one with a good 12" back to front for my 280ah cells. The Milwaukee L size was not available to measure but might work. Problem is it specs just a bit shallow.

I'm still debating going 2x 12v but If I go 24v in the big box I am hoping to avoid anything in the lid so I don't have to deal with things moving when opened/closed.
I’m using a ridgid rolling pack out, very sturdy, and large.

The box is 12x20 and about 12” tall inside dimensions.

I’m using a ridgid rolling pack out, very sturdy, and large.

The box is 12x20 and about 12” tall inside dimensions.

I had my hands on that one at Home Depot yesterday. Also a Dewalt. Both were tempting. The Rigid lid comes off rather than hinging though and the wheels take up a bunch of real estate inside. Construction I'd consider so-so

I’m just following someone else’s design. Here is a photo with the cells.

Could you post the link to the original design?

And what is the capacity of the system you are building that will fit in one of these containers?

TIA!

Eve/Lishen cells.

Could you post the link to the original design?

And what is the capacity of the system you are building that will fit in one of these containers?

TIA!
The original design is the photos I posted in the first post. That's all I had to go by for reference.

Pictures of finished product? I'm diving into this in the near future and hope to get some pointers for how you arranged everything.

41848DA0-6407-4FD4-A9A3-AABF834461DF.jpegHere ya go. I have some 26550 lifepo4 cells I’m going to test the electronics with, but I’m waiting on some cell holders to come in the mail. My main batteries are in Hawaii, the boxes final destination.

As for placement advice, you’ll need a metal pick to punch holes in the boxes ribs so that you can drill a small hole for the zip ties. I used a caliper/micrometer to measure and make the locations of the holes I need to punch through for the terminals, shunt readout and battery disconnect. I used a dreml with a small cut-off wheel to cut the hole for the shunt readout and hole punch drill bits to make holes for the terminals and battery disconnect. I am using flexible bus bars to avoid needing to compress the batteries and will put foam between the cells to allow for expansion. I may also raid the batteries up off the bottom the box to allow for more width of the batteries to expand, as the box is slightly tapered in form with the opening being wider than the base. I will be punching a hole in the side of the lid next to the 12v bus to allow for hooking up 12v devices. I have a clamp that fits in that hole and clamps the wires going through it so they can’t be pulled out. The clamp is a standard piece that goes in gang box electrical junctions and can be found at any hardware store. The shunt is powered by the 12v bus and fused. The 50 amp fuse and holder for the 24v - 12v buck converter can be found at auto parts stores. I’ll power mine up when I get the battery holders. I’m going to top balance then just like I will do with my eve cells, as dry run. I will put kaptom tape over any exposures terminals after I test and tighten. I’d like to get a flir camera to examine the setup for any hotspots. I think my test batteries can only supply 40 amps, so I won’t be able to test the bms on over current protection.

Looks like i need to still fuse the 12v fuse block with a 40 amp fuse.

View attachment 78744Here ya go. I have some 26550 lifepo4 cells I’m going to test the electronics with, but I’m waiting on some cell holders to come in the mail. My main batteries are in Hawaii, the boxes final destination.

As for placement advice, you’ll need a metal pick to punch holes in the boxes ribs so that you can drill a small hole for the zip ties. I used a caliper/micrometer to measure and make the locations of the holes I need to punch through for the terminals, shunt readout and battery disconnect. I used a dreml with a small cut-off wheel to cut the hole for the shunt readout and hole punch drill bits to make holes for the terminals and battery disconnect. I am using flexible bus bars to avoid needing to compress the batteries and will put foam between the cells to allow for expansion. I may also raid the batteries up off the bottom the box to allow for more width of the batteries to expand, as the box is slightly tapered in form with the opening being wider than the base. I will be punching a hole in the side of the lid next to the 12v bus to allow for hooking up 12v devices. I have a clamp that fits in that hole and clamps the wires going through it so they can’t be pulled out. The clamp is a standard piece that goes in gang box electrical junctions and can be found at any hardware store. The shunt is powered by the 12v bus and fused. The 50 amp fuse and holder for the 24v - 12v buck converter can be found at auto parts stores. I’ll power mine up when I get the battery holders. I’m going to top balance then just like I will do with my eve cells, as dry run. I will put kaptom tape over any exposures terminals after I test and tighten. I’d like to get a flir camera to examine the setup for any hotspots. I think my test batteries can only supply 40 amps, so I won’t be able to test the bms on over current protection.
I don’t expect 26650 cells have any expansion issues. I would simply use fish paper between cells.

I don’t expect 26650 cells have any expansion issues. I would simply use fish paper between cells.
The 26650 cells are for testing the electronics (bms,shunt,buck converter, disconnect swtich, fuse block). My 280 ah eve cells are in hawaii, the final destination for the box. Im currently in alaska. I am off grid out in hawaii, and will only be there for a month, so I need to verify the setup works before I send it over. I will test it using the 26650 cells.

It looks like the input voltage range of the buck converter is acceptable:
  • Input voltage range: DC 18-35V; Output voltage: DC 12V(non-adjustable); Output current: 40A; Output power 480W.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4HLLWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I will also have an inline 50amp fuse on the buck converter. The fuse block that will be powered by the buck converter has fuses for each individual terminal.

Here is a picture of the terminal covers I am using.

I will probably surface mount the battery disconnect switch in the back ground. I was having trouble with some of the boxes surface details in order to mount flush, but I think i can figure it out.

View attachment 77829
I really like those terminal covers. Does that happen to be a kit to include the base part underneath, and the screw terminals topside? Almost looks like those caps snap onto the top part too. Can't seem to locate something like that. Care to share a link to what you used?
Thanks

Back