diy solar

diy solar

(LifePower4) Bms-Test version that's compatible with the Communications Hub?

vin2002

Hi all, sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere. I couldn't find it tho.

I have 2 Sol-Ark 15k's as well as 12 LifePower4's in an off-grid config. I recently received a comm hub as well, but have yet to hook it up. I'm using bms-test V2.7.3, and my hub has V1.5. A couple questions if anyone can help:

1. The comm hub manual (pg. 3) wants the battery the hub is connected to at ID#1, so my batts are numbered 1-12 and I've connected the hub to #1. I also have a laptop connected to the empty port on the last battery (#12) that I use to run the bms-test program (V2.7.3) for monitoring the bank of batteries. I don't have the hub connected to the inverters yet. Whenever I energize the hub, and the laptop is connected running bms-test, the hub and bms-test don't seem to work. The bms-test program starts throwing battery comm errors, and the hub can't see all the batteries anymore. In the EG4 video about how to use the comm hub, dude just says hook the laptop to the comm hub in order to download battery data. He doesn't say what port to connect to. I tried the RS485-2 (with batts all on RS-485-1) and the hub was working fine seeing the batts but the bms-test saw nothing.

Anybody have this working? Bms-test successfully monitoring all batts, and the comm-hub controlling all batts at the same time?

2. EG4 doesn't say what to do when you have parallel Sol-Ark's but I assume the hub connects to the "master" inverter only. Can anyone confirm this?

I'd call Sig Solar for help, but it seems the folks on this forum with their equipment are more reliable/consistent than their support. Answers from them seem to vary depending on who you speak to.

Thanks for any info/insight you might have...

-James

I have installed a Sol-Ark 15k with a Lifepower4 3 rack with a com-hub. It was NOT in parallel so I can only help you with the experience I have had.

Your going to need to update your hub from V1.5 to V1.6. The V1.5 had a bootloop bug that will have the com-hub power cycle itself. Your connecting the USB-A to RS485 cable into the INV- RS485-3 port on the com hub. Set the starting address on the BMS test program to ID:0. then Pack number: 13. Go one above 12 because the com-hub will duplicate ID:1 on bms test if I remember correctly.

Right above that you have two tabs that say Single pack , Multi pack. If you choose multi pack you will be able to monitor all the batteries at one time. You should be able to view the batteries in real time on bms-test while communicating with the Sol-Ark if my memory still servers me correctly since they are using two different serial buses.
You need to update your batteries to the newest firmware V3.26 and baud-rate has changed to 19200. So you have to change baud-rate on the com-hub also.
Sol-Ark uses the CAN protocol on the com-hub so also set the protocol to Sol-Ark on the com-hub.
You are only going to connect the com-hub to the host/master inverter.

I have installed a Sol-Ark 15k with a Lifepower4 3 rack with a com-hub. It was NOT in parallel so I can only help you with the experience I have had.

Your going to need to update your hub from V1.5 to V1.6. The V1.5 had a bootloop bug that will have the com-hub power cycle itself. Your connecting the USB-A to RS485 cable into the INV- RS485-3 port on the com hub. Set the starting address on the BMS test program to ID:0. then Pack number: 13. Go one above 12 because the com-hub will duplicate ID:1 on bms test if I remember correctly.

Right above that you have two tabs that say Single pack , Multi pack. If you choose multi pack you will be able to monitor all the batteries at one time. You should be able to view the batteries in real time on bms-test while communicating with the Sol-Ark if my memory still servers me correctly since they are using two different serial buses.
You need to update your batteries to the newest firmware V3.26 and baud-rate has changed to 19200. So you have to change baud-rate on the com-hub also.
Sol-Ark uses the CAN protocol on the com-hub so also set the protocol to Sol-Ark on the com-hub.
You are only going to connect the com-hub to the host/master inverter.
Wow, thanks for all the details. I think you should be writing the EG4 manuals!

Looks like I have some work to do.

I found the 3.26 firmware for the batteries at the EG4 site. Doesn't look like there's any comm hub firmware on the EG4 site that I can see. I guess I'll call SigSolar and see if I can get it from them, unless you still have a copy? No worries if not, you've been a massive help already!

I'll definitely try connecting the laptop to RS485-3 port and see what happens. Thanks for the details there.

I figured that the master would be the only place I'd connect the comm hub, but you never know. Thanks for that.

I can't thank you enough for your time helping me out. I'll update this thread with my experiences, and any further questions I might come up with. Thanks again @LithiumCowboy ! Much appreciated.

-James

Hi all, sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere. I couldn't find it tho.

I have 2 Sol-Ark 15k's as well as 12 LifePower4's in an off-grid config. I recently received a comm hub as well, but have yet to hook it up. I'm using bms-test V2.7.3, and my hub has V1.5. A couple questions if anyone can help:

1. The comm hub manual (pg. 3) wants the battery the hub is connected to at ID#1, so my batts are numbered 1-12 and I've connected the hub to #1. I also have a laptop connected to the empty port on the last battery (#12) that I use to run the bms-test program (V2.7.3) for monitoring the bank of batteries. I don't have the hub connected to the inverters yet. Whenever I energize the hub, and the laptop is connected running bms-test, the hub and bms-test don't seem to work. The bms-test program starts throwing battery comm errors, and the hub can't see all the batteries anymore. In the EG4 video about how to use the comm hub, dude just says hook the laptop to the comm hub in order to download battery data. He doesn't say what port to connect to. I tried the RS485-2 (with batts all on RS-485-1) and the hub was working fine seeing the batts but the bms-test saw nothing.

Anybody have this working? Bms-test successfully monitoring all batts, and the comm-hub controlling all batts at the same time?

2. EG4 doesn't say what to do when you have parallel Sol-Ark's but I assume the hub connects to the "master" inverter only. Can anyone confirm this?

I'd call Sig Solar for help, but it seems the folks on this forum with their equipment are more reliable/consistent than their support. Answers from them seem to vary depending on who you speak to.

Thanks for any info/insight you might have...

-James
Sir....where can I download BMS Test V2.7.3 ?

Sir....where can I download BMS Test V2.7.3 ?
Hi,

eg4electronics.com/downloads

I selected BMS-Test for Windows, and 2.7.3 was the version that came down. I think they update it from time to time, so I'm not sure what version you will get if you download today. They also don't label the files with the version number. I wish they would.

Hi,

eg4electronics.com/downloads

I selected BMS-Test for Windows, and 2.7.3 was the version that came down. I think they update it from time to time, so I'm not sure what version you will get if you download today. They also don't label the files with the version number. I wish they would.
I got it Sir as you say ....Thank you so much .

Here's an update, just in case anyone is interested.

Upgraded comm hub from 1.5 to 1.6, no problems (Thanks @LithiumCowboy )

Using BMS-Test V2.7.3 concurrently with the comm hub still fails.
1. Tested while laptop connected to the 485-3 port on the comm hub, no battery info presented in BMS-Test (IDs set to 0 thru 13).
2. Then connected to open 485 port on batt #12, no battery communication updates in BMS-Test, and red light on comm hub turns on. Once disconnected, comm hub returns to green only staus light, red light goes out.

So the SS/EG4 videos I've seen have you set the ID0 on the battery in order to upgrade the battery firmware. Certainly there should be no reason why I can't upgrade the 12 batteries while they're all still in the bank right? No need to separate from the DC bus? Because I'm off-grid and the system is my only source of power, disconnecting from the DC bus would be difficult. My procedure would be to isolate the battery to be upgraded from the 485 bus, set ID to 0, then reset. After the reset, attempt the upgrade. Once upgraded reset ID# back to what it was before.

@SignatureSolarJames @SignatureSolarPeyton @SignatureSolarTech , assuming I upgrade all battery firmware to V3.26 will the comm hub work properly, and pass the battery info out the RS485-3 port to BMS-Test V2.7.3 on my laptop, at the same time it's controlling the charging on my Sol-Ark 15k's? I need to be able to remotely monitor my bank thru BMS-Test at the same time the comm hub is controlling my Sol-Ark.

Thanks for any additional info!

-James

1. Tested while laptop connected to the 485-3 port on the comm hub, no battery info presented in BMS-Test (IDs set to 0 thru 13).
2. Then connected to open 485 port on batt #12, no battery communication updates in BMS-Test, and red light on comm hub turns on. Once disconnected, comm hub returns to green only staus light, red light goes out.

So the SS/EG4 videos I've seen have you set the ID0 on the battery in order to upgrade the battery firmware. Certainly there should be no reason why I can't upgrade the 12 batteries while they're all still in the bank right? No need to separate from the DC bus? Because I'm off-grid and the system is my only source of power, disconnecting from the DC bus would be difficult. My procedure would be to isolate the battery to be upgraded from the 485 bus, set ID to 0, then reset. After the reset, attempt the upgrade. Once upgraded reset ID# back to what it was before.

@SignatureSolarJames @SignatureSolarPeyton @SignatureSolarTech , assuming I upgrade all battery firmware to V3.26 will the comm hub work properly, and pass the battery info out the RS485-3 port to BMS-Test V2.7.3 on my laptop, at the same time it's controlling the charging on my Sol-Ark 15k's? I need to be able to remotely monitor my bank thru BMS-Test at the same time the comm hub is controlling my Sol-Ark.

-James
I would like to know if this works. It has been my experience that once BMS_Test protocol is seen by the batteries they stop responding to other protocols.

-James
Did you try plugging the computer into the last remaining battery comm port?

Did you try plugging the computer into the last remaining battery comm port?

Sorry for the slow response. Not sure how I missed it. Thanks for the video Z, looks like it can work! I did try connecting to the last available battery port, but it causes the alarm light on the comm hub and also BMS-Test has comm errors when connected.

So the only difference I have from the video is my batteries are not on 3.26. My inverter is the Sol-Ark 15k, but it's not hooked-up yet so that shouldn't matter. LithiumCowboy had said I needed to update the batteries to 3.26 but I have not done that yet. The need for "zero current" flowing in order to update the packs has been the hang-up for me. I'm off-grid and need them on. Gonna have to schedule some down time with the wife! Once I'm able to update to 3.26 I'll report back. Thanks!

Sorry for the slow response. Not sure how I missed it. Thanks for the video Z, looks like it can work! I did try connecting to the last available battery port, but it causes the alarm light on the comm hub and also BMS-Test has comm errors when connected.

So the only difference I have from the video is my batteries are not on 3.26. My inverter is the Sol-Ark 15k, but it's not hooked-up yet so that shouldn't matter. LithiumCowboy had said I needed to update the batteries to 3.26 but I have not done that yet. The need for "zero current" flowing in order to update the packs has been the hang-up for me. I'm off-grid and need them on. Gonna have to schedule some down time with the wife! Once I'm able to update to 3.26 I'll report back. Thanks!
Do one at a time. How much current is flowing from each battery?

Do one at a time. How much current is flowing from each battery?
Not a lot, all 12 are charged back up for the day. Just passing clouds today and I have 2 RV AC's running off and on. At most maybe 6-8 amps depending on cloud cover at the time.

I'm going to expose my ignorance here, but in order to not get electrocuted I haven't messed around with individual batteries unless *everything* is shut down.

I feel like I should be able to flip the battery breaker and then disconnect the positive wire from that battery to isolate it while everything else is still running. But the loose wire from a live busbar freaks me out. So I'm not 100% sure how to do this SAFELY. I don't have any insulated tools (guess I should get some) and I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm sure people must do this sometimes, but I have not seen anything that documents it. I'm living in fear, but at least I'm still living LOL.

Anyway, once positive is disconnected I'd set ID# to zero, turn batt back on and update the firmware. Then shut batt down, reset ID# and hook positive back up, then turn batt back on. Seems like this should work. Any advice?

Back